Dan O’Dowd Egan

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dunnp
antispam: No

Dan O’Dowd Egan

Post by dunnp »

Was reading chiff posts of old and found this clip of Dan O’Dowd.
https://sounds.bl.uk/World-and-traditio ... 4XX-1200V0

Does anyone know if this is the original chanter being played?
I had it in my head that Dan played a chanter of his own make with the set but can’t recall where I read that now.

This photo shoot from NPU shows three chanters with the set.

https://api.pipers.ie/api/AssetContent/Get?id=6890

Is the set still being played somewhere?

Just idle curiosity after hearing the clip of Dan today.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Dan O’Dowd Egan

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I remember Dan usually playing the Kenna chanter.

Clancy used it for the Seoda Ceoil recordings.
My brain hurts

cormacc

Post by cormacc »

Tonally, that sounds more Kenna than Egan to my ear, but that's a pretty subjective assessment.
Saw the O'Dowd set at some point in the last decade, and it was still in the family at the time. Although I didn't get to blow any air through the chanter (the Egan chanter was with it, can't remember whether the Kenna was also), I have played another Egan C and two C#s, all of which sounded 'of a family' and quite different from the linked recording. That said, the same chanter can sound very different with different reeds, as we all know all too well.
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by geoff wooff »

I am not sure that the light coloured chanter is a Kenna but I recall Dan saying the Egan chanter sounded too harsh for his liking. There could be a social context to Dan's use of the other chanter, it being exactly the same length as Sean Reid's Coyne . The point being that although Dan's pipes are said to be in the key of C they are slightly flat of that mark, as is the Sean Reid Coyne set. This is not a problem until people use them as a model for producing sets to use with modern C instruments.

I had the opportunity to play the set when Dan and May visited Australia in 1979. I also took measurements of the chanter and made one or two copies of it .

Thanks Dunnp for posting the link to all those recordings of Dan, though I did not managed to open the files.