Current shipping times

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistleTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I’ve been a trad musician most of my life on the highland pipes. Been playing whistles and flute for about a year now.

Current shipping times

Post by WhistleTunes »

Has anyone ordered a whistle from the UK to the US recently? I have a Kerry whistle on order and am just wondering what to expect. I’m assuming COVID is likely having some impact on shipping.

Thanks!
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Re: Current shipping times

Post by stanton135 »

I've been waiting on an MK for nearly two months now. It left Scotland in two days, arrived in New York City a couple days after that, and seems not to have left NYC yet.

The people at MK have been very gracious about the long wait, but it's out of their hands: the delay is due to the USPS. I haven't been able to get a clear answer from anyone on how much longer the wait will be, though luckily MK will send me a free replacement if the whistle does actually get lost in transit.

Not the answer you were hoping for, I imagine. Maybe your luck will be better than mine...
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

My UK to US shipment a few weeks ago took nine business days. It was three days in the UK postal system and two days in US Customs.

(The order was from Big Whistle https://www.bigwhistle.co.uk)
Last edited by facet on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

My whistles from MK took about 4-5 weeks but that was mostly on the USPS side. Whistles from Phil Hardy took about 2-3 weeks. It seems it takes an indeterminate time in US customs and about a week in UK customs. USPS may take their sweet time or go fast.

-Peter
vigaglum
Tell us something.: I am interested in pennywhistle and low whistles and play both. Folk music, mostly. I also have a passing interest in other traditional music.

Post by vigaglum »

I recently had a whistle sent the other way, US to UK, and it took about a month to arrive.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

WhistleTunes wrote:I’m assuming COVID is likely having some impact on shipping.
Indeed it is. I live in an area that was particularly hard-hit, and I had several packages (both that I sent and received) get rerouted. The response from USPS was to the effect of "we are experiencing delays due to the pandemic; please be patient." They took two weeks to get a package to a recipient who lives less than 15 miles from me!

As Peter said, it's hit-and-miss with USPS. I have no intention of having anything shipped internationally until the pandemic has blown over.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I bought a bunch of stuff from the Coleman Centre in Sligo, Ireland, and it came in 4 days.

Whereas a book I ordered from Italy shipped on May 29 is due tomorrow, although I doubt it will arrive.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Things seem to be unpredicatble and especially USPS seems to be messy. A package from California took over nine weeks to get to Ireland, getting bogged down at distribution centres for extended periods and eventually disappearing from the tracking system altogether along the way.

Inside Europe things seem to be moving albeit perhaps slightly slower in some places, a package from France took several weeks. UK can vary, but then, it always does. Other things, from Germany, Austria and Poland arrived in under week, pretty much as normal. But this was partly earlier in the pandemic, when flights were more scarce. Another package, from Taiwan, took five months. They all got there, eventually.
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I just shipped a chanter to the UK, and it sat in a post office here in the U.S. for a week, then went very speedily across the Atlantic and arrived there in 12 days total. Royal Mail seemed to be much more on the ball than the USPS.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Not super recent, over a month ago, I ordered a whistle from Colin Goldie and I had it in a week.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
FolkLife
Tell us something.: I'm here because I am interested in tubes with holes that tweet when you blow them. I have not been on this site in several years because I have moved away from discussing my hobbies to actually practicing them, but i am now retired and have time for both.

Post by FolkLife »

I bought an MK from Inverness Scotland this past Wednesday 7/29. It left their shop the next day Thursday 7/30 and arrived at my door in Oregon today , Sunday 8/2. 3 DAYS from Scotland to the west coast US!! Via DHL Express for $33.51 shipping.

I also bought a whistle that left New York early last week via USPS and it whereabouts are anyone's guess. Tracking just says "arriving late"
-Scott
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Well if you read the headlines here in the US the USPS has become a bit of a political football. Clearly we are well into the Silly Season. Buckle up Buttercup!

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

FolkLife wrote:I bought an MK from Inverness Scotland this past Wednesday 7/29. It left their shop the next day Thursday 7/30 and arrived at my door in Oregon today , Sunday 8/2.
Wow. I just went on the MK site and they have the standard warning about Covid-19 and shipping times, nice to hear yours arrived so quickly.

I bought a used book from a place in Australia, the estimated delivery is August 26, it arrived at our local distribution center this morning. Somehow I don't think it's going to sit a mile from here for three weeks.

PS I hadn't been on the MK site for some time, those bronze-coloured whistles are really cool. As are the rare blue ones, which he has in stock.

PPS MK is in Inverness now? I'm out of the loop.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
FolkLife
Tell us something.: I'm here because I am interested in tubes with holes that tweet when you blow them. I have not been on this site in several years because I have moved away from discussing my hobbies to actually practicing them, but i am now retired and have time for both.

Post by FolkLife »

pancelticpiper wrote:PPS MK is in Inverness now? I'm out of the loop.
No, I bought it from a music shop coincidently named The Music Shop.

The blue ones are very nice, but not worth the $60 or so for me.
-Scott