Mondays with John Whelan

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mondays with John Whelan

Post by Casey Burns »

Not flute related exactly - but you will never hear a better Irish Accordion player. And he is great to play along with during his broadcasts every Monday at 4PM PDT. Here is today's

https://www.facebook.com/10000000770288 ... 073513449/

John is also a wood turner and one of these days after the Pandemic we hope to get together for some flute making instruction.

Enjoy!

Casey
DWListener
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in improving my wooden flute technique (ITM), and have a collection from modern makers and historical flutes. I have been a full time professional musician on non-Irish trad instruments (brass) so the challenge now is coordinating fingers not previously used and the embouchure. Fortunately my experience on wind instruments and the ability to communicate by feeling the melody is still there. Thanks for keeping the flute forum up and busy.

Re: Mondays with John Whelan

Post by DWListener »

Yes. The thing about John's playing that makes him so much fun to play with is his strong rhythmic style. You can't avoid getting into the groove. with him. A virtual session on Mondays for all instruments.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have occasionally popped in. It is a fun play along when I know the tunes and listen when I don't.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I was lucky enough to host John in my house right before the pandemic shut the US down. He had a gig in town and we played a few tunes afterward despite the very late hour and my having to get up for work first thing in the morning for work. Simply a good, good soul...and one helluva musician.

Eric
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

John used to live here and played everywhere regularly. John started the local Comhaltas, P.V. O'Donnell Branch, in Milford, CT. Love the guy and miss him dearly since he relocated to Washington state and re-married. Now we East Coasters have to follow John on the internet and yes, the Monday nights with John are most enjoyable.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

John is an absolute treasure, and great fun to play with. Check out how he ties Brenda Stubbert's into Sporting Pat here: https://youtu.be/UhYXoS_QmA8, it's just a brilliant variation. From an old gig we did on Vashon Island.

God damn I miss music