what key whistle is this guy using?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

what key whistle is this guy using?

Post by Narzog »

Hey guys. So normally I feel like this would be a stupid question and I wouldnt ask but I'm really confused. So this song I really like is in Eb minor. Which is Gb major equivalent whistle. But I've never even heard of a Gb whistle, so I feel like theres no way. Also its big and looks like his custom I'm assuming low D (He plays whistles by Whistles Workshop aka A. Karavaev) that if I creep their live show recording I see on like half the songs (which are D whistle songs.)

So I'm really confused. This looks like an untunable low D, and it doesnt look like hes doing any half holing or anything.

But now I'm thinking it could somehow be a D or something more normal. So my question is, what key is this? and how is that possible? Am I like missing some whistle science, because the key of Gb is waaay off from D, in that it has like 0 of the same notes. I never actually tried to figure out this song because I assumed it was in a key I didnt have a whistle for but now I'm just confused as to how its possible if it is in D without just sounding out of key. I feel like I'm missing some music theory.

Edit- Haha I forgot to actually post the song. That would probobly help. Heres a link https://www.facebook.com/eluveitie/vide ... 4666036162
For anyone who cant fb link the song is Breathe by Eluveitie
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: what key whistle is this guy using?

Post by colomon »

I can't play along at the moment to figure it out, but if it really is in Eb minor he could be playing it on a low Db whistle, which would have Eb minor just like a normal D whistle has E minor. One of the videos on the Whistles Workshop page is Colleen Shanks playing a Whistles Workshop high C# whistle, this would be the octave lower version of that.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Thanks for the input. Your definitely right. And seeing that its a custom looking whistle It wouldnt surprise me that its also in a special key. And now that you said that, it clicked that Db can play in Gb the same way D can play in G.

It just makes me sad that they would write a song in Eb minor. Db is probobly the last whistle key I'd ever buy haha. This is one of my fav songs. I feel like I need to pitch shift it so i can listen and learn it in D. Not that I'm good enough to play it yet but. Some day.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

I have a trusty Sindt C# (aka Db) for just such occasions (set of A/Bb/B/C/C#/D whistles). Singer always determines the pitch they are comfortable singing in even if it's an unusual key. Would love to add Eb & E to complete that set of whistles (some day!). @Narzog - you're right, C# is probably the last key you'd consider adding to a set.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Size wise, I'd agree with the low c# guess. I have a high c# (two actually - long story but I have a video if you're curious) from Weston Whistles that's quite nice. Not as loud as the D from him and softer tone
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes C#

I just played along with it on my C# whistle and when he fingers "E" it's the same "E" I get on the C# whistle, which would be concert D#.

I could tell from the size of the whistle that it had to be around C. No way a Gb or Ab whistle would be that size.

Here's my C#

If you need whistles in B and C# they're easy to make out of a Generation Bb and C.

1) chop the top until the upper hand notes are in tune to the new pitch.

2) chop the bottom until the bellnote is in tune to the new pitch.

3) you will find that the notes emitting from Hole 5 and Hole 6 ("E" and "F#") are flat, carve these out until they are in tune to the new pitch.

And Bob's your Uncle.

You might find that one or two of the other holes need carving, but on the B and C# I made it was only Holes 5 and 6.

Here's how they sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-fQhvleWq8

There are makers who make C# whistles, in fact whistles in every key, as a matter of course. I know Susato, Burke, and Goldie have made them.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle