suggestions for a B flat whistle with least air requirement

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sharon Leigh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I had my fifth whistle lesson today, a day after my 75th birthday. Also today for the first time ever I experienced the joy of playing several tunes with another student....my eyes leaked for happiness as we concluded our little recital for our teacher. I have found the information here in the forum to be very helpful as I have EVERYTHING to learn about playing the tin whistle. I am playing a Walton (soprano) D whistle. I have heard about and am wanting to hear shared experience from those who have played either or both the Gene Milligan soprano D whistle with practice mouthpiece and the Burke soprano D whistle with session mouthpiece, narrow bore. Thank you for considering my application.

suggestions for a B flat whistle with least air requirement

Post by Sharon Leigh »

7/19/2020
It has been suggested that I try a B flat whistle in an effort to calm my cat's nerves....Please guide me to a B flat whistle that has the least air requirement. And I do prefer "mellow" to "sharp"...is that the word I want?
Thank you, sincerely.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: suggestions for a B flat whistle with least air requirem

Post by pancelticpiper »

In my opinion it's hard to beat a Generation B flat.

Sometimes you have to try a few to find a good one.

If money isn't an issue you can order a Jon Sindt, they're fantastic.

Either the Generation or the Sindt will use very little air.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I'd second the Generation Bb - so much nicer on the ears than 'D'. :wink:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

A while back Generation made some upgrades. I’ve no idea what all has changed, but the whistle labeling is different. https://tinyurl.com/y3apyjtp

If you want the latest production, Big Whistle currently has them in stock. The new Gen Bb I just received is a keeper. https://tinyurl.com/y5ugzdak
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Sharon Leigh wrote:And I do prefer "mellow" to "sharp"...is that the word I want?
I typically use "warm" and "bright," but your words conveyed accurately.

One of my cats apparently detests the sound if a soprano D whistle. When I play, he rubs his head all over me and my whistle bag; I think he is trying to get me to stop playing. Yesterday I listened to "Morrison's Jig," and that made him scream. Does your cat react similarly?
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Killarney is now offering Bb! I havent recieved mine yet, but I heard a sound clip and it sounds amazing. Sweet and warm like all the brass Killarneys.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

facet wrote:A while back Generation made some upgrades. I’ve no idea what all has changed, but the whistle labeling is different. https://tinyurl.com/y3apyjtp

If you want the latest production, Big Whistle currently has them in stock. The new Gen Bb I just received is a keeper. https://tinyurl.com/y5ugzdak

That's very interesting. As we know the old molds wear out and from time to time Generation has had to replace them.

About the comparison video, the problem with those was driven home to me when I made a couple of them. On one of the videos I played four Low Ds which were quite different from each other to play, and in person had distinct sounds. However in the video they all sounded alike.

The other issue is the variability of Generations in general. From a single straight-from-the-factory box of 24 Generation Ds I could have picked out a superb one, an OK one, or one that just made squeaking noises.

I will say that when that guy switched from the new Generation D to the old Generation C it sure seemed like he was overblowing the C, pushing so hard the notes were starting to break up. You can overblow any whistle and make it sound rough and squeaky.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Sharon Leigh wrote:7/19/2020
It has been suggested that I try a B flat whistle in an effort to calm my cat's nerves....Please guide me to a B flat whistle that has the least air requirement. And I do prefer "mellow" to "sharp"...is that the word I want?
Thank you, sincerely.
I agree with the others about the Generation Bb being a good choice. However, my Tilbury aluminum Bb requires less air than the Generation Bb. Its voice is mellow and sharp (bright). The Tilbury is a very light blower so it takes careful breath control. The volume, to my ears, is about the same as the Generation.
ltwhistle
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for nearly 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Post by ltwhistle »

Generation Bb definietlly doesn't require a lot of air. So I think it's a good choice. Also, If you like the sharpness then go with nickel, not brass. Bb key is generally warm, but nickel gives a bit brightness to it.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

ltwhistle wrote:Generation Bb definietlly doesn't require a lot of air. So I think it's a good choice. Also, If you like the sharpness then go with nickel, not brass. Bb key is generally warm, but nickel gives a bit brightness to it.
Agreed. If you keep your eye out for the vintage ones, with the standing seam on the plastic mouthpiece, you can find near-mint Bb Generations, nickel or brass, for $5-10 on eBay . They tend to be in good, unused condition. I have two of the nickel plated Generation Bb whistles and they are both fantastic. I also have a Burke Aluminum Bb, which is fantastic. Contrasted to my Burke, the Generations require less air in the second octave for sure. If you want to loosen the mouthpiece on the Generations so that you can tune the whistle, be very careful. Hot water will loosen old glue eventually , but it can also discolor the old plastic, making it look dull and flat. Others on the forums have mentioned that steaming hot water can also mis-shape the mouthpiece/fipple. I wish I could remember how I loosened them on mine, but it was years ago.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

My only Bb is a generation so I dont have much input but I also will say that its a nice whistle, especially for the budget. As long as you end up with a good one. Its by far my favorite of the sub 20$ whistles I own.

My favorite whistle is my Tilbury C so if you can afford it Tilbury Bb is probobly amazing.
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

nicx66 wrote:....Hot water will loosen old glue eventually , but it can also discolor the old plastic, making it look dull and flat....
Discolored and dull plastic can be restored. A low-rpm bench buffer with cotton wheel, tripoli and rouge bar compound will do it. Otherwise, it can be done by hand with a rag and one of the liquid polishes intended for boat and motorcycle plexiglass windshields. Amazon or auto parts stores are the sources. Some toothpastes will work, too.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I removed the mouthpiece on my regular Walton's whistle many years ago, using nothing more than hot water. Unfortunately, I've since forgotten where I read how to do this, but the advice was: the water should be about the temperature of a cup of coffee (not boiling), and don't immerse the whistle more than a few seconds at a time. If memory serves me correctly, the mouthpiece came off with minimal time and effort. The hot water, in my case, caused no discoloration that I've noticed (I'll inspect the whistle later today to confirm that). Curiously, I've never seen it fit to remove the mouthpieces on my other two whistles.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Dan A. wrote: I've never seen it fit to remove the mouthpieces on my other two whistles.
Not all makes glue the heads but for the ones that do, warm water really helps getting the heads off.

Whistle heads are generlly put on in a random position. They do, however, have a sweet spot where sound and tuning are optimal. Don't expect miracles but finding the sweet spot is worth the effort.
My brain hurts

Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Whistle heads are generlly put on in a random position. They do, however, have a sweet spot where sound and tuning are optimal. Don't expect miracles but finding the sweet spot is worth the effort.
It all makes sense now. Hopefully I will get to removing the heads on those other two whistles before too long. Thanks for the information/advice!