Quick poll: Inexpensive whistle preferences

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
facet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Re: Quick poll: Inexpensive whistle preferences

Post by facet »

> What inexpensive ($50 max) D whistles do you find most consistent in tone and playability?

In that price range the Dixon tunable DX005, or DX001. Very good quality for the price, and they play well.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I have a Walton's and a Feadóg. They are the only whistles I have played. My experience is that they are pretty evenly matched in both tone and playability, but for whatever reason, I prefer the Feadóg. The great thing about whistles: they are inexpensive and don't take up a whole lot of space, so you need not worry about losing much money or space while looking for the perfect example.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

facet wrote: In that price range the Dixon tunable DX005, or DX001. Very good quality for the price, and they play well.
I recently bought a DX001 and have been very pleasantly surprised with how it plays. Sweet and nimble, it's a lovely little whistle and comes in under $20. I don't know about consistency, though, having just tried the one.

Otherwise, I started on a Generation and have always found them to range from "meh" to "excellent." I personally have not run into the truly terrible ones that everyone else seems to have, and I'll note that most of my cheap whistles have had a habit of improving considerably with age (which is much more down to the player than the instrument).
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

John Maschinot wrote:Quick poll: What inexpensive ($50 max) D whistles do you find most consistent in tone and playability?
As I read them, the two questions posed are entirely different.

1) Inexpensive whistle preferences. (The thread title question.)

I take that to mean "what inexpensive whistles do you prefer?"

For me the answer is old Generations and Feadogs.

2) What inexpensive whistles do you find most consistent in tone and playability? (The question asked in the OP.)

With most makers I've not played a large enough quantity of their whistles to have a meaningful opinion as to their consistency.

How many would it take, I wonder, to form a meaningful opinion. I don't think two or three is enough.

Over the years I've played hundreds of Generation Ds and they varied from superb to practically useless. As I've said I once had a crack at an unopened box of 24 Generation Ds straight from the factory and just in that one box the full spectrum of superb to useless existed.

I think my second-largest sample size has been with Feadogs, possibly a hundred or so. They didn't vary as much as Generations.

The third-largest sampling would be a certain model of Dixon High D. This is due to meeting Tony at the NAMM show where he had a booth with perhaps 15 or 20 of the same model High D, a plastic head on an alloy tube body. These Dixons had a large degree of consistency.

I've played quite a few Susato High Ds over the years. From what I've experienced they get remarkably consistent performance out of their moulded ABS heads.

Thing is, you can have an extremely consistent maker that makes whistles you don't care for.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ltwhistle
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for nearly 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Post by ltwhistle »

Waltons Mellow D is my favorite so far. Love that it has a slightly wider bore than other common inexpensive whistles. It's a bit louder and also provides capability to play nuances with air pressure when it comes to vibrato etc... The second choice is Dixon Trad, it is crystal clear, however, it is "too easy" to blow. It barely requires any air pressure, which is hard to control, especially in the upper octave. Susato is great option too, though I'm not sure it it falls under <50$ range.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

ltwhistle wrote:Susato is great option too, though I'm not sure it it falls under <50$ range.
I checked Susato's site. A high D in their Kildare series is over $50...but only by $4. Their high D in the Oriole series is well under the OP's target price, at $32.50.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

The first Feadog whistles are consistently good in my experience. The heads are not glued, making for easy tuning. Also, they can be found new-in-box for $5 USD. The Susato Oriole is a good one if you prefer the more modern, loud, "fatter" sound.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

nicx66 wrote:The first Feadog whistles...can be found new-in-box for $5 USD.
Where? I'd love to find one!
Dan A. wrote:I have a Walton's and a Feadóg. They are the only whistles I have played. For whatever reason, I prefer the Feadóg.
Since the above was written, I've acquired a Walton's Little Black D. With the Little Black D, I noticed a difference: its aluminum body, to my ears, produces a brighter sound. As for my preference for the Feadóg, it is primarily--if not exclusively--due to aesthetics; I find its slim and sleek mouthpiece more appealing than the chunky ribbed ones on the Walton's.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I got a dixon trad d the other day and overall I like it. So my vote goes to that. Compared to my Generation Bb, Feadog C, and Clarke sweat tone D, I like it more. I chose it over an oak or any others because it had more consistent amazon reviews so I was hoping I'd get something thats made consistently because it cost a bit more than the other budget options. Where your super budget ones can be good but they can also be my feadog (really off tuning).

Unlike my feadog pulling the mouthpiece out to tune it doesnt make it loose. Also unlike my feadog its tuning is actually good, minus like 1 hold thats slightly off. But I dub that fine. The dixon still has that good whistle tone similar to the feadog.

I like my generation Bb and was considering getting a generation D but I feel like the performance can fluctuate on those a lot because a lot of the reviews are bad. So I was worried I could get a dud with bad tuning. And It might have a mouthpiece similar to the feadog where once I get the glue off it wouldnt be tight.

I hate my clarke sweat tone, too small, sounds too much like a toy to me. But the tuning seems decent and its cheap so wouldnt be a bad beginner whistle.

My fav is my Tillbury C but that doesnt count because it cost like $105 shipped. Its not 4x as good as the dixon but it does have some slight benefits, as expected from paying way more. The tuning is perfect. Tuning slide instead of moving a mouthpiece. Really low air req and a bit quieter (I like both of these, but there are just preference things).
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I'm apparently now in the market for a new whistle and get to make this decision all over again. I was happy with the Walton I broke, so I'm inclined to just get another one. But I admit there are a lot of whistles I've been curious about. Really I wish I could just play a bunch and pick which I like best (without having to actually buy a bunch and then try to sell on what I'm not into). There are some I'm curious about because I've never really heard them (Youtube can be hit-or-miss for a lot of reasons)... some I suspect I'd like but I'm not sure if I'd like them more than the Walton and would have to play to find out... etc.

The angst and anguish, lol.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Katharine wrote:some I suspect I'd like but I'm not sure if I'd like them more than the Walton and would have to play to find out... etc.
This is what other keys are for, it gives you an excuse to buy more. Although you could still just buy the same brand haha.

But I wont judge because I usually over research things I'm looking to buy to the point that I decide not to get anything.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

a lot of the reviews are bad
You do have to wonder, and weigh, who are giving the reviews and if they can play at all.

It's pretty common for beginners to buy a cheap whistle and then complain the whistle is no good because they can't play it. Some of the finest music I have heard was played on cheap whistles.
My brain hurts

The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Narzog wrote:I got a dixon trad d the other day and overall I like it. So my vote goes to that. Compared to my Generation Bb, Feadog C, and Clarke sweat tone D, I like it more. I chose it over an oak or any others because it had more consistent amazon reviews so I was hoping I'd get something thats made consistently because it cost a bit more than the other budget options. Where your super budget ones can be good but they can also be my feadog (really off tuning).

Unlike my feadog pulling the mouthpiece out to tune it doesnt make it loose. Also unlike my feadog its tuning is actually good, minus like 1 hold thats slightly off. But I dub that fine. The dixon still has that good whistle tone similar to the feadog.

I like my generation Bb and was considering getting a generation D but I feel like the performance can fluctuate on those a lot because a lot of the reviews are bad. So I was worried I could get a dud with bad tuning. And It might have a mouthpiece similar to the feadog where once I get the glue off it wouldnt be tight.

I hate my clarke sweat tone, too small, sounds too much like a toy to me. But the tuning seems decent and its cheap so wouldnt be a bad beginner whistle.
My old original Feadogs I got around 1980 don't have this loose head problem.

Don't know what a toy sounds like but I've always felt the "Sweatone" had an overall dullish tone.But an ok beginners whistle,I've given some away to beginners.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

[quote=

Don't know what a toy sounds like but I've always felt the "Sweatone" had an overall dullish tone.But an ok beginners whistle,I've given some away to beginners.[/quote]

I have a number of Sweetone whistles I used with my kids. They were good beginning whistles and get stashed around the house for days when a tune wants to jump out of my head in the garage, basement, car or attic.

I have heard them played very well in a number of noisy sessions.

They seem to have better control and less of a squeak in the hands of a newbie than some of the other beginner's whistles. I'm not sure, dull could be the right word. But I think they are on the quiet side.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
a lot of the reviews are bad
You do have to wonder, and weigh, who are giving the reviews and if they can play at all.

It's pretty common for beginners to buy a cheap whistle and then complain the whistle is no good because they can't play it. Some of the finest music I have heard was played on cheap whistles.
IMO most of the concept of "upgrading" from a cheap whistle is mostly due to this phenomenon. The vast majority of very good to excellent players that I've come across have played whistles from a fairly restricted number of makers/brands, only a couple of which get past $100 (notably Sindts, which seem to be the standard for a lot of Comhaltas types). Many play "cheap" whistles to great effect. On the other hand, a lot of beginners think that a more expensive whistle will make them a better player.

That's not to say that some more expensive whistles don't sound lovely, or don't fit someone's personal preferences better, or aren't worth buying. It's just that the sound of the whistle has a lot more to do with who's playing it than a lot of people believe.