A problem with this whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TxWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

A problem with this whistle!

Post by TxWhistler »

Unless the buyer knows what to do to correct this, they will not get a nice tune out of this whistle

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Key-Soprano- ... 3716639374 :boggle: :o

It seems to me that the seller is not exactly knowledgeable about what they are selling!!!! :lol:
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: A problem with this whistle!

Post by RoberTunes »

That's a new musical mode: Ambidextrous Lydian Pretzeltone. It uses Ambiguous Tuning. No more limitations from old standards of Equal Temperament, Richter, Just or Compromise tunings, it's remains aloof on every note. One pipe, one mouthpiece, two modes. Double the tone for your money.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

All the pictures everywhere on ebay and any other platform of those Chinese Feadóg-knock-offs look like that.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

What a raw deal. One can buy a genuine Feadóg for that price!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think you're supposed to play it by inhaling on the bell end.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Sedi wrote:All the pictures everywhere on ebay and any other platform of those Chinese Feadóg-knock-offs look like that.
Yeah, they look very much like the Feadog Generation knock-offs :poke:
trill

Post by trill »

Just think, they make our antibiotics . . .
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

It probably still plays a D, all fingers down.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

... and he's hoping to sell 5 of them :). Someone some years ago did bring a whistle set up exactly like that to a workshop I was doing - I did notice the fault.
I have seen a couple of flutes similarly arranged for sale on eBay as well, I'm sure one was pointed out here a few years back.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I received a nice handmade alto F whistle years ago. It came in two pieces to better fit in the shipping box. I was so excited to put it together I put the tube on backwards. It is actually an interesting scale that comes out. I'm not sure of the mode... :D
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I hear it's especially well-suited for gijs, epipnrohs and leers.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:I think you're supposed to play it by inhaling on the bell end.
But then you can't swear in court that you didn't inhale...

busterbill wrote:I received a nice handmade alto F whistle years ago. It came in two pieces to better fit in the shipping box. I was so excited to put it together I put the tube on backwards. It is actually an interesting scale that comes out. I'm not sure of the mode... :D
Oh, BTDT. Bought a secondhand whistle... couldn't figure out why it was so badly out of tune as it was from a respected maker. Even posted here about it. Posted a recording, everyone agreed the tuning was off. Posted a picture. Someone said "Um, looks like the tube is on upside-down." *headdesk* Guess I didn't look closely enough to notice.

It gets worse. I couldn't get the tube back off; it was stuck fast. No matter what I tried. I had to actually send it back to the maker to separate the two, lol. (I'm sure he head-desked as well. He kindly didn't tell me about it, though.)

(I honestly don't remember if it came to me that way or if at some point I separated the head and tube and put it back on the wrong way. Probably the latter. In my defense, this particular whistle has a little "D" inscribed on it for the key, at the bottom of the tube. I was used to whistles that had a label or maker's marking at the *top* of the tube, so probably popped it back on that way without even thinking about it... and of course "D" is the same right-side-up or upside-down, so... but it's also how someone noticed I had it on wrong-way-round-- "Um, I think these usually have the 'D' at the bottom?" Then everyone noticed that yeah, the fingerhole arrangement looks funky...)

It was, um, not really my finest moment in whistling. Not that I've had many fine moments, but... still.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

I'd say $14.91 isn't a bad price-after all,the initial description says it's gold plated!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

At Yosemite National Park they have a reconstructed Miwok village, nearby is a little shop with Miwok-related books and so forth.

There were some Miwok flutes for sale. I picked one up and played it. A guy quickly came over and said "you're the only white guy who has been able to get a sound out of those!"

He was a Miwok flute player, and the maker of those flutes.

What it is, traditional Native American flutes don't have fipples, they're open-ended and played like the Bulgarian kaval or Turkish ney.

The amazing thing was when the player/maker played a tune on one of his flutes, then flipped it and played another tune.

"You can play them either way" he explained.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

@Richard
Do they have a notch like a Quena? I once tried to play a rim-blown flute without any notch whatsoever. Kind of difficult, took me about 15 minutes to get a tone at all. I can play quena and quenacho but those all have notches, which makes them much easier to play.
But flipping the flute around makes me think, they don't even have a notch, right?