Needing help assembling uilleann pipe half set-picture inc.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mjohns35
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am brand new to the uilleann pipes and for that matter to any reed or other wind musical instrument. Being that I am new, I have a lot of beginner questions. Looking forward to learning the instrument, though!

Needing help assembling uilleann pipe half set-picture inc.

Post by mjohns35 »

I am new to the uilleann pipe, and wind and reed instruments in general and have bought a half set to learn to play. The problem is that the set did not come with instructions and I have not been able to find instructions or a how to assembly video on the internet. If someone could help with the assembly and tell me in which section of the pipes which size reeds go and orientation, I would appreciate it. I have included a picture with labeled parts to make it easier to describe.

RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: Needing help assembling uilleann pipe half set-picture i

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but... unfortunately, these sets from "Geoffrey" are very shoddily made, and for numerous reasons will likely only lead to sheer frustration.
There is an entire stickied thread at the top of this forum that deals with these in great detail: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34434

The drones can be made to work after a fashion, with the right reeds and re-hemping the joints (I've done it myself), but bag, bellows and especially chanter are basically un-salvageable. And most uilleann pipers agree that drones shouldn't be used in the first stages of learning, anyway.

Will the seller accept a return for a refund?

The price is probably the main factor that leads aspiring learners of uilleann pipes to purchase this type of set instead of ordering from an experienced pipemaker.
If that is a concern for you, then the most economical option would probably be the pipes made by David Daye: http://daye1.com/pennychanter.html
Last edited by RenaissanceGuy on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMacfie
Tell us something.: I'm a new uilleann piper. I've been highland piping for over 20 years as well as playing whistle and Irish flute. Cheers!

Post by JMacfie »

Yeah, I'd have to agree. When your UP gear includes 2 GHB reeds and 2 GHB practice chanter reeds you know there's an issue. I could describe how to put it together but you'd be much better off finding a qualified instructor to meet with and get it set up (assuming it will even play). The basic assembly of this instrument is by far the easiest part of playing it.
---> Jarrod
mjohns35
Tell us something.: I am brand new to the uilleann pipes and for that matter to any reed or other wind musical instrument. Being that I am new, I have a lot of beginner questions. Looking forward to learning the instrument, though!

Post by mjohns35 »

Thanks for the advice. I have read similar reviews of the Geoffrey brand, but that was after purchasing and I have owned the pipes for a period of months now so I can't return them. I am in the San Francisco Bay area. Maybe I can find somebody out here who can do something with them.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Well, since it isn't going anywhere... in the interests of an educational experience, here is how the parts would fit together:

Bass drone:
1B connects to 3A, and then one of the 4R reeds fits into 3B, with the red threaded end of the reed inserted into the reed seat (the hole).
Then 3B is inserted into one of the holes on the mainstock (1H, 2H, 3H). You'll need to determine which one based on size.

Baritone drone:
One of the 5R reeds is inserted, red threaded end, into the 2B reed seat.
Then 2B connects into one of the holes on the mainstock; again, whichever one matches the size.

Tenor drone:
One of the 6R reeds is inserted, red threaded end, into the 4B reed seat.
Then 4B connects into the final hole on the mainstock.

Chanter top:
5E is inserted into 4H.

Chanter:
They included three different types of reeds which are ostensibly for the chanter: 1R, 2R, and 3R, though as JMacfie mentioned, 2R is really for a Great Highland Bagpipes chanter and 3R is for a Great Highland Bagpipe practice chanter.
None of these reeds are likely to give satisfactory results, but just for the sake of argument, let's treat 1R as the "real" uilleann pipe chanter reed, and insert it into 5B.
Then 5B is inserted into 5C.

And that's how this set is physically assembled.
But it's pretty much a guarantee that it won't actually make music without extensive re-working. And even then, playing it probably won't be a smooth experience compared to a set of pipes made by a skilled maker. A couple of pipemakers used to take these Pakistan-made sets and make them playable for customers who were stuck with them, but they quit taking these on since the time and costs involved were counterproductive.

Since you're in the Bay Area, a good resource for uilleann piping is the San Francisco Pipers' Club: http://www.sfpipersclub.org/
They might be able to set you up with a loaner practice set to try out, as well as recommending a teacher for lessons.
mjohns35

Post by mjohns35 »

Thanks for explaining the assembly. I am going to give a shot at putting it together and trying it out since I own it. Yeah, it sounds like I will need to buy another set if I don't want to frustrate myself trying to get the pipes to play, so maybe I'll plan to purchase a new set sometime in the future, also. Also, thanks for the link to the San Francisco Pipers' Club.