New Kerry High D whistle in the works

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Re: New Kerry High D whistle in the works

Post by ElementalWhistle »

Sedi, when you say "I received my newsletter from Phil Hardy today and it seems, the new Optimas will be available soon." what new Optimas? I'm aware of only the Cobre D (and now C). Are there other Optimas that are "new"?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

In the beginning he planned on doing other keys as well, like A for example. But I think he shelved that idea. I hope he will do the other keys as well. At least he had some prototypes made, when he first announced the new whistles.
https://youtu.be/20jiol7xsFc
https://youtu.be/FIcFqNCdFc4
RLindner
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Post by RLindner »

The new Optima Cobre D just came available at thomann.de yesterday evening. I ordered one and hopefully
I'll have it on Monday latest. Of course I'm gonna give you my first impression of it here on C&F asap.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
They still have one in stock at thomann. I am very tempted. I could just drive there and test it, it's only 20 minutes from where I live. But they might not allow testing the instruments under the given circumstances. And I am more interested in the new "Busker" whistle that Phil Hardy has announced.
RLindner
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Post by RLindner »

A quick delivery, I got my Cobre today. Of course, I'd been very excited and measured the bore
first. It's 13,5mm and comparable e.g. to Setanta or Oz.
I like the look and the weight balance particulary. The copper tube has a really good grip and isn't slippery at all.
The mouthpiece is very comfortable as on the Optima low D.

Phil is right, the volume is there and I would consider this whistle as rather loud. I got a nice full tone in the
lower end. Unfortunately I'm not able to find the sweetness in the second octave. I took me already a good push to get even the high D. Maybe it just doesn't fit my playing style or there is something wrong with my particular whistle.
I can completely look through the mouthpiece and the windway isn't really narrow (appr. 1 - 1.2mm).
To my understanding, the gap between the fipple and the blade should be very thin, maybe a sheet of paper.
Otherwise it's gonna be difficult to control the second octave. This is excactly how my whistle behaves for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the whistle, the design or even Phil! It just doesn't match my expectation.
I used to own a Optima low D with several mouthpieces (different colours) and I really liked it. My current
low D is a Chieftain Custom with a very sweet high end and I was hoping for that with the Cobre as well.
RLindner

Post by RLindner »

Intentionally I wanted to return the whistle but gave it just a second try.

Finally I found the right pressure for the second octave. Due to the high backpressure,
it's just to much for my personal liking. Because I really like the construction of this
whistle I decided to keep it and try some modification. In worst case I could try to get
an new mouthpiece from Phil (as offered for the Optima low D)?

First, I reduced the backpressure by shortening the mouthpiece (windway) by 2-3mm.
It got a lot better, but the high B was still difficult to get. I was thinking of tweaking the
blade in the way as Jerry Freeman does to shorten the window. But I found an easier way
in Guido Gonzatos Low Tech Whistle instruction. Instead to shorten the window lenght, I
reduced the width of the window from 10mm originally to appr. 8.5mm by putting a 2-piece
compound on both walls.

The result is exactly what I was looking for. I can get a sweet high B. The breaking point between
the octaves is still well defined (low end can be pushed) and the volume of the octaves is
nicely balanced. The whistle remindes me of a Feadog MK1 now, but with a lot more volume.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

In a new video of the Cobre being played, it has a "copperhead" mouthpiece, which isn't yet shown on the main website as an available feature, but it looks a better colour match to the copper, so it will likely appear there shortly.

Orlaith McAuliffe gives a whistle one of her brilliant test drives and the Cobre (and her precise dynamic playing) is capable of fast leaps between octaves while maintaining clarity of note definition, can handle various air pressure levels easily, the volume and intonation seem nicely consistent from low to high notes, and the tone is clear and expressive.

https://www.kerrywhistles.com/videos