Vintage Generation Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Vintage Generation Question

Post by ElementalWhistle »

Excuse my ignorance--is there such thing as a vintage Generation nickle whistle? I'm aware of the Vintage Brass Generation modules.
whistlecollector

Re: Vintage Generation Question

Post by whistlecollector »

Indeed. In the Museum, we've got an example of a vintage Generation in plated brass. It's not as old as the soldered on label whistle, but is one of the "newer" ones with an adhesive label.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
ElementalWhistle
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Post by ElementalWhistle »

Thanks. Does that mean anything (brass or nickle plated) with the sticker is not actually a vintage generation?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Does that mean anything (brass or nickle plated) with the sticker is not actually a vintage generation?

No, just that the ones with the sticker are of a different vintage. Stickers seem to have come in during the 1940s or so. Plastic heads during the 1950s.

In the Museum,we've got an example
I see you have used one of my photos of the keyed whistle. Please don't, it's not yours to use and it's not part of your 'museum'. The whistle neither French nor five keyed either so your entry is wrong on several levels.
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

ElementalWhistle wrote:Excuse my ignorance--is there such thing as a vintage Generation nickle whistle? I'm aware of the Vintage Brass Generation modules.
Depends on what your definition of "vintage" is I suppose. I have a nickle-plated one I bought new in 1976 or 1977 that is a great player. Plastic fipple and sticker, as one would expect for that time.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Depends on what your definition of "vintage" is I suppose.
For use on the forums I think it's accepted 'vintage Generation' means anything before the 1982 design change. Mind you, there are several 'vintage' Generations on ebay dating post 1982 and I suppose anything over twenty or thirty years old can lay a claim to that.

I have one of these:

Bought in 1981/2 It is clearly identical to the new design Generation, even though that wasn't available yet at the time I bought this. Green Generations didn't exist. This one had a green label with a harp and the brand 'Darra'. Hunger strikes raging and sentiments running high at the time, I always suspected it was a trial run for the Irish market, without the 'British made' tag. The label has by now worn off, just by standing around in a vase. Nice whistle though. And I know, it's filthy and due a wash.

The provenance of the whistle remains a mystery, despite my speculation and posting about it here in the past.There was never any response or insight. Was it a trial run by Generation, did someone make it, failed and sold the design to Generation? We'll never know. Darra (Darragh, actually), by the way, is the Irish for 'Oak'.

I suppose I can zoom in on the label from the snap above, before it's completely gone:

My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I wonder if they made the model in C for a little longer with the old design. My mom bought one for me in '89 and it has the ridge on the mouthpiece. But it might have been sitting in the store for 7 years of course.