TELL ME A STORY!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

TELL ME A STORY!

Post by Michael w6 »

I'd be glad to know the story behind the tune, "Shee Bag, Shee Mor." I know it is a conflict between two Fay kingdoms, but details?

Thanks.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: TELL ME A STORY!

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I'd be glad to know the story behind the tune, "Shee Bag, Shee Mor." I know it is a conflict between two Fay kingdoms, but details?

Thanks.
I'm unaware of any story behind it. Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór is commonly attributed to O'Carolan - possibly his first known melody - but that's as much as I know. Anyone else?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Ah, well now, they say the ´Big Fairy Hill (Fort) fought a battle with the ´Little Fairy Hill (Fort) and Carolan commemorated this event.
Another apocryphal story has Sheridan going on about this being the inspiration of the Lilliputian War between the ´Bid Endians´ and the ´Little Endians´. Swift never said. The dispute was over which end of a boiled egg was to be consumed first.

There, now I´ve told you a story. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

You might get more information asking about "Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór". Like that it may have been O'Carolan's first song, but he took the music from an existing tune, The Bonnie Cuckoo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%AD_B ... _Mh%C3%B3r

As for the lyrics, take a look at this. (I can't vouch for the accuracy.)

https://anglofolksongs.wordpress.com/20 ... g-si-mhor/
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

an seanduine wrote:Ah, well now, they say the ´Big Fairy Hill (Fort) fought a battle with the ´Little Fairy Hill (Fort) and Carolan commemorated this event.
Another apocryphal story has Sheridan going on about this being the inspiration of the Lilliputian War between the ´Bid Endians´ and the ´Little Endians´. Swift never said. The dispute was over which end of a boiled egg was to be consumed first.

There, now I´ve told you a story. :D

Bob
All good, right thinking people SLICE boiled eggs to consume them.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Michael w6 wrote:
When I was a kid my mom had, among the other useless things accumulated in her kitchen utensil drawer, an egg slicer. My mom grew up in the extreme poverty of the Great Depression, then her early marriage years was separated from her husband and her house during WWII. By the time life got to what we'd now describe as "normal" she along with many of her peers became a gizmo hoarder. (sort of like WAD in the kitchen) The egg slicer was a cast aluminum base with a depression for an egg and slots which corresponded with a hinged lid upon which was strung a wire tightly wound around pegs to slice an egg.

I think we actually used it once or twice, but it was never discarded until she moved to assisted living. As a child and as an adult I would search the drawer for a spoon or potato peeler and find myself pulling it out of the drawer and play it like a harp. Each string section stretched on the egg shaped lid had a slightly different note.

I never have developed an appreciation for a sliced egg. :D
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

in her kitchen utensil drawer, an egg slicer.

We had one in or kitchen too! I was also played like a harp. In my own home I just use a knife and quarter the eggs. More for aesthetics than anything else.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:All good, right thinking people SLICE boiled eggs to consume them.
Do they indeed? Where I come from, that would be thought effete. But maybe I need some polish. Here's how this smelly beast does it: If they're hardboiled, I first peel them - nobody has yet mentioned that step, so I must conclude that I'm getting significantly less calcium out of my eggs than the rest of you. Then I bite their naked, pointy little heads off, putting either salt or hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce in the bite's depression, and repeat the process until the egg is gone. It's good to know I'm a bad, wrongheaded person, otherwise I might never have guessed. Thank you. I gratefully steel myself for the flames to come.

Yeah, my mom had one of those wire-strung egg slicers too, and I always wondered why it never got used until I tried it for myself. I believe they'd see a ton more use if the yolk parts didn't keep falling out. Most awkward to spend the time fitting all those whites and crumbling yolks back together, and for what? If I'm making egg salad, I just get out the chef's knife and merrily chop away like a psychopath.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Michael w6 wrote:All good, right thinking people SLICE boiled eggs to consume them.
Do they indeed? Where I come from, that would be thought effete. But maybe I need some polish. Here's how this smelly beast does it: If they're hardboiled, I first peel them - nobody has yet mentioned that step, so I must conclude that I'm getting significantly less calcium out of my eggs than the rest of you. Then I bite their naked, pointy little heads off, putting either salt or hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce in the bite's depression, and repeat the process until the egg is gone. It's good to know I'm a bad, wrongheaded person, otherwise I might never have guessed. Thank you. I gratefully steel myself for the flames to come.

Yeah, my mom had one of those wire-strung egg slicers too, and I always wondered why it never got used until I tried it for myself. I believe they'd see a ton more use if the yolk parts didn't keep falling out. Most awkward to spend the time fitting all those whites and crumbling yolks back together, and for what? If I'm making egg salad, I just get out the chef's knife and merrily chop away like a psychopath.
You are a vivid and engaging writer! I suspect the wire egg slicer is to make eggs presentable on a salad.
I pickle all my hard boiled eggs and thus fore go hot sauce. Pickled eggs... yum.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I suspect the wire egg slicer is to make eggs presentable on a salad.
Yes, that was always the idea as I had it. But I would only even consider bothering with that if I were feting a dignitary (fat chance), or suspending the slices in aspic like a Calder mobile (fat chance of that, too, although it does sound like a cool project, now that I think of it). I'm afraid the theoretical dignitary would have to be satisfied with less eye-catching fare, and I'm quite fine with making apologetic noises if necessary (not that I'd mean it).
Michael w6 wrote:I pickle all my hard boiled eggs and thus fore go hot sauce. Pickled eggs... yum.
They're nice on occasion, but I can't make a habit of them. At certain bars there would always be big jars of them: combine that with beer, and you have a room-clearing intestinal offense on the horizon.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Yes, those wire thingys were surprisingly useless. Which made her keeping it all the more eccentric. But she'd spent good money on it and thought it might come in handy for something.

And Nanohedron: Worcestershire sauce will likely protect you from those flames to come...

Speaking of flames, I used to love deviled eggs which are a bit of a mess to make, not to mention mayonaise is no longer on my accepted fats list, especially consumed at the same time as an egg yoke. So I got in the habit of slathering my peeled boiled egg with mustard. It has a tendency to slide off before the first bite. But after you make that divot it becomes an acceptable non-elegant somewhat dry version of a deviled egg, sort of a shadow of its self. But it gets the job done.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

busterbill wrote:
Michael w6 wrote:
When I was a kid my mom had, among the other useless things accumulated in her kitchen utensil drawer, an egg slicer. My mom grew up in the extreme poverty of the Great Depression, then her early marriage years was separated from her husband and her house during WWII. By the time life got to what we'd now describe as "normal" she along with many of her peers became a gizmo hoarder. (sort of like WAD in the kitchen) The egg slicer was a cast aluminum base with a depression for an egg and slots which corresponded with a hinged lid upon which was strung a wire tightly wound around pegs to slice an egg.

I think we actually used it once or twice, but it was never discarded until she moved to assisted living. As a child and as an adult I would search the drawer for a spoon or potato peeler and find myself pulling it out of the drawer and play it like a harp. Each string section stretched on the egg shaped lid had a slightly different note.

I never have developed an appreciation for a sliced egg. :D
Yup, I remember plunking out a rudimentary version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (you had to be sort of fluid on the exact pitch lol) on my mom's when I was very young.

For the life of me I can't imagine what else I'd use one for, since I have never liked eggs... :) (Although it seems I'd recently read there's something else you can use them for, but can't remember now what it was. But I remember it was something I might actually do (probably some sort of Chinese or Thai cooking), and I felt somewhat excited at the prospect of perhaps getting one. I will neither confirm nor deny that you might then find me in the store plunk-ing all of them to also find the one with the most pleasing sound...)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Katharine wrote:....... I will neither confirm nor deny that you might then find me in the store plunk-ing all of them to also find the one with the most pleasing sound...)
But have you got one in D...?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:Speaking of flames, I used to love deviled eggs which are a bit of a mess to make, not to mention mayonaise is no longer on my accepted fats list, especially consumed at the same time as an egg yoke. So I got in the habit of slathering my peeled boiled egg with mustard. It has a tendency to slide off before the first bite. But after you make that divot it becomes an acceptable non-elegant somewhat dry version of a deviled egg, sort of a shadow of its self. But it gets the job done.
OMG. Deviled eggs. Mom used to make them on Sundays, and because I had to share, they made me curse the day I had siblings; I could have eaten them all. The eggs, that is. Fortunately I'd been house-trained, so by the time I had teeth my brothers and sister were off the menu.

I made deviled eggs once, and it was enough; going to all that trouble, and for something destined to vanish in the blink of an eye, was too much for me to take.

I hadn't thought of putting mustard on boiled eggs. Not a bad idea at all. Normally yellow mustard and I have an extreeeemely limited relationship - usually it's brown mustards for me - but this could be one of those times where I might relent.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

[quote="Nanohedron"

I made deviled eggs once, and it was enough; going to all that trouble, and for something destined to vanish in the blink of an eye, was too much for me to take.
[/quote]

I was helping out in the kitchen before a friend's party years ago. Her 21 year old daughter was given the task to put the yellow mixture back in to the halved eggs. She methodically dipped in her spoon, slid the mixture off into the empty white with her finger to shape it just so, then stuck her finger in her mouth (to clean it or taste it I don't know which), then back in the mixture the spoon would go and back on the spoon the finger would slide and back into the mouth. This went on for 2 dozen eggs. It was the first time I ever demurred when offered a plate of deviled eggs.