Loose Fipple

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Loose Fipple

Post by ElementalWhistle »

My DX006 high D alloy whistle's fipple mouthpiece is loose. I don't mean that because it's tunable. It's moving left and right just slightly when I play it. I've only been playing it about a week on and off since it arrived new--I'd estimate a total of 2 hours cumulative playing throughout the week. I have the fipple all the way on (not pulled out at all), and it still wiggles enough when in my mouth to be annoying to play.

It is not cork, thread, beeswax. It is hard material to hard material tuning slide. I'm aware that if it was cork or likewise, the wiggling would be maybe expected due to weather or temperature changes. (I have not moved it out of same room in my home since it arrived).

Suggestions?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Loose Fipple

Post by kkrell »

Wrap the tube with a little Teflon plumber's tape, enough to adjust the fit so the head does not move too easily.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Perhaps a little smear of cork grease on the slide tube will fix it(?)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

fatmac wrote:Perhaps a little smear of cork grease on the slide tube will fix it(?)
Could also work. Might need to use the toilet wax stiffness so it's sticky enough not to just slide more easily.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

ElementalWhistle wrote:My DX006 high D alloy whistle's fipple mouthpiece is loose. I don't mean that because it's tunable. It's moving left and right just slightly when I play it. I've only been playing it about a week on and off since it arrived new--I'd estimate a total of 2 hours cumulative playing throughout the week. I have the fipple all the way on (not pulled out at all), and it still wiggles enough when in my mouth to be annoying to play.

It is not cork, thread, beeswax. It is hard material to hard material tuning slide. I'm aware that if it was cork or likewise, the wiggling would be maybe expected due to weather or temperature changes. (I have not moved it out of same room in my home since it arrived).

Suggestions?
I've answered this on thesession.org where in my move to provide an answer I initially thought it was a problem with the head moving down the slide when playing.

Anyway, I have the C version of the Dixon whistle, and the first thing I'd do is to check the bottom end of the plastic fipple for cracks. The fit should be very snug.

Don't wrap ptfe tape around the slide. From experience, it will crack the fipple.

When properly tuned, the head should be a short distance up the slide. I had a problem with the head sliding back down whilst playing. I initially did put a very short wrap of ptfe tape around the slide, this cured the problem and then cracked the fipple head. I fixed that, and then used beeswax on the slide. This has cured the movement of the head whilst it's being played and there is no wobble.