A beginner flute for short fingers?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A beginner flute for short fingers?

Post by Kas »

I have small hands and repetitive stress injury from typing. I started with a Delrin Copley and Boegli with the closer hole spacing (which I still need to get around to selling at some point), and it didn't work for me. My tendonitis flared. For me, Casey Burns' small-handed flute was the solution. What works for you is totally going to depend on how you're built! I know people with small hands who've had no trouble stretching comfortably with Grinter and Olwell flutes.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

A bit OT but might I ask what kind of keyboard you are using? I type for a living and my brother-in-law (who's a programmer and has to type a lot, too) recommended I use a keyboard with more resistance and higher keys (I was typing on the laptop keyboard before and had problems with aching fingers). I now use a gaming keyboard which made a huge difference compared to typing on a laptop. I am a bit "heavy handed" when typing and the impact on the joints is much reduced when the keys have more resistance.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I measured 9.25 inches via the Casey Burns method, so I guess I have big hands. I'm not sure hand size alone is the key thing though. For example, I think I have short little fingers relative to the rest of the fingers, so that may be why I find holding a low whistle hard. I have a Bb flute with offset holes but I think I'd have been better off with straight holes. It must have a lot to do with the overall diameter of the flute as well. The hand seems to have a pretty complex geometry.

I'm pretty sure, though, that Casey knows more about this than I do. :D
KateScott
Tell us something.: I’m a tin whistle player and just bought my first flute having spent a lot of time browsing posts on the forum. I wanted to make a post to thank the community for the help and also get more involved in the general conversation.

Small Handed Flute

Post by KateScott »

I know this thread is a bit outdated now but having looked on the forum and absorbed every single post there possibly could be about good flutes for players with small hands I thought I would post my decision! I played classical flute for years, got fed up, and 2 years ago started on the whistle. Then I decided it was time to get a wooden flute.

I live in England and so I wanted to buy a flute from a local maker if possible. I knew that Tony Millyard did a small handed flute and so in the middle of Covid lockdown I sent him a message to ask a few questions. He replied immediately, we had a chat on the phone, and he very kindly sent me both a rudall rose and a Pratten small handed version for me to try before I committed. Had I been able to visit the workshop then I would’ve been able to give them both a go on a visit but in many ways it was much better to have them at home as I didn’t have the performance anxiety!

In the end I plumped for the Pratten. It is a wonderful flute in Blackwood and I couldn’t be more pleased. My hand span is about 19 cm so not big and it fits perfectly. It would still fit if I had bigger hands I’m sure. The tone is awesome, tuning good, and in general I think it sounds brilliant so I’m super happy and just wanted to let you know what my decision-making had been in case it helps other people in the way this forum helped me.

Now for the necessary practice!