Availability of VPipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oxtershuffler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I suffer from the same three problems as all the rest of you - reeds - chanter, drones and regs. I hope to find advice from members that will ease my pain. I think I will learn a lot from this forum because it has been the established place to go for a very long time.

Availability of VPipes

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Hi, can any of you tell me where I might get a crash 'up to date' on VPipes? Are they still being made? Is there a manufacturer's outlet or
an online seller etc? A young child is about to enter our household and I may soon need the headphones facility. I'd appreciate any information any
of you can supply.
Thanks in advance.
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Re: Availability of VPipes

Post by Lozq »

Have you tried shooting them a message from the website? https://www.vpipes.com/wp/contact

It looks pretty up-to-date...and quite bizarrely it has their full bank details available. Maybe you're just meant to send them a random sum of money and they'll send you back some pipes? Seems like a solid plan to me, anyway.
Oxtershuffler
Tell us something.: I suffer from the same three problems as all the rest of you - reeds - chanter, drones and regs. I hope to find advice from members that will ease my pain. I think I will learn a lot from this forum because it has been the established place to go for a very long time.

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks Lozq,
I like your idea of sending a (low) random sum and just sit back and wait for a set of pipes. But after my experiences with Santa and the Easter Bunny
I would need convincing on Bank Buddy. I was just wondering if anyone had recently gone through the whole process - agreed a price, sent the cash and received a set of pipes? Has any of our members done that recently?
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

I did this a year or so ago. Ramon was pretty good with emails and keeping me updated with how everything was going. Happy with the end result too!
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

I hears recently Ramon was taking a break and not making at the mo
truckley_howler
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes and would like to converse with other pipers. I'd also like to keep an eye out for "for sale" ads for used pipes.

Post by truckley_howler »

Oxtershuffler, you might want to check out the Uilleann Obsession classifieds: http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html

There are a handful of old "for sale" listings for vPipes -- the most recent is from 2016, but probably still worth a shot!
Oxtershuffler

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks lads for the help.

Tom_S - thanks, but I think I have to agree with 'buskerSean'.
There seems to be zero response these days from Mr Castro.
I am curious about why his bank details are up online but there's no response to emails.

I suppose I'll have to keep an eye out for a second-hand set.
Thanks too to truckley_howler but there's nothing on Uilleann Obsession at the moment.

I'll have to look for a really quiet reed instead.
truckley_howler
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes and would like to converse with other pipers. I'd also like to keep an eye out for "for sale" ads for used pipes.

Post by truckley_howler »

Check out listings #40, #45, #47, and #63 on Uilleann Obsession. They are a few years old, but still haven't moved to the "sold" section -- and I've had very good luck in the past responding to very old classified ads on that site!
Oxtershuffler

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks truckley_howler. I'll give it a shot.
I wonder does Mr Castro use this site?
Doesn't look like it.
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

Warbl might be an option as well.
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

A friend of mine spoke to Ramon in March and he said he wasn’t making at mo.
Oxtershuffler

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks BuskerSean for the update
Oxtershuffler

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks make_fast for the info.
Warbl looks interesting.
Have you ever heard it 'in the flesh'? How realistic is the Uilleann Pipes mode?
Sounds good in the demo.
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

Never heard it, but it will be as good as your midi pack is (it is a midi controller). If you wanted to know what it would sound like prior to purchasing I would just pick up the Celtic Winds iOS midi pack - it will sound just like that. Which should be exactly as it was in the demo.

How well it tracks with the realities of playing the instrument I don't know, but that isn't really the primary concern for e-pipes.
Oxtershuffler

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks again make_fast.
I'm feeling the bug begin to bite on this.
My first step into the world of electronics and Midi - and it's about 40 years overdue.
I'll take your advice and get the Celtic Winds app and take it from there.