experiences with Jay Ham flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Re: experiences with Jay Ham flutes?

Post by Jay »

Hi everyone,

By "first" I do mean the mechanism. I'm very familiar with Terry's work, and appreciate what he did and the thought process he shared. Functionally, his keywork is like the other keys on a simple system flute, with levers and pins, which is elegant in it's simplicity. I entertained that approach, but my friendship with Chris Abell took me in the direction of a true Boehm mechanism. The tricky part was combining the Boehm mechanism with the traditional look of a block mounted Rudall. This mechanism is more akin to fine machining work, requiring more custom tools and jigs than any other process in my shop. It's a lot of fun to make!!

The flute pictured on my site is my own flute, one of the first with this keywork. The position of the touches was inspired by an early French Boehm flute made by Buffet. I find these keys very comfortable. I never rotate the footjoint, and I play those keys, in sessions, as easily as I play any of the other keys. The action is light, and the holes seal with a light touch and no noise. These attributes are in contrast to my experience with traditional foot keys. Also, my keywork is entirely hand forged. I can modify to suit.

I don't spend much time here. Please contact me directly if you want to chat. You can find my phone and email through the web link below.

Best wishes,
Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Just an update to this discussion. I've completed another 8-key flute and uploaded some new pictures to my website. Here are a few of the foot joint.
Best wishes,
Jay

Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

That's beautiful Jay.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

gorgeous stuff Jay
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I still love the look of this configuration. I would love to see one in person! The problem I have always had was on the traditional eight key configuration I have to reach over the Eb key to reach the C/C# keys. My little fingers are very short and they can't make the trip without also depressing the Eb key .

On this it looks like I would be dropping the little finger in a natural arc to reach the desired keys. I had planned on not getting any more flutes but this may change my mind! I don't have an eight key flute because I couldn't reach the keys. When I got a six keyed flute I didn't think I would ever use all the keys and now the Bb is the one I have not used. These look like something I would use.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Jay, so beautiful. Nicely done.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

I think you'd couldn't go wrong with one of Jay's flutes.

I met Jay about 15 years ago when he still lived in AZ and didn't even play the flute. I remember sitting with him in some sessions when he was just getting started playing. Very nice fellow who picked up the instrument and the music quickly.

Then he moved away and I lost touch but he emailed me out of the blue to let me know he was now making flutes, which I found astonishing, but he's one talented fellow. Jay shipped me an early flute to play, out of the blue, which I found staggeringly good. I've played an Olwell rig for a long time now and it took me about a day to really dial it in, but when I did, it was as good a flute as any I've played.

That was a couple of years ago now and he's had time to refine his design. I'd love to try another one, especially a keyed one. Hopefully I'll get out to his Big Butte party in NC or wherever it is one of these days.

Jay, if you're reading, keep up the great work bud!

Best,
Gordon