FS: Sam Murray "Muraeus" 3-key blackwood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Grishnakh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played the Irish flute on and off for about 30 years. I used to play in sessions but now I play whistle, flute and harmonica in a band called Waxies Dargle.

FS: Sam Murray "Muraeus" 3-key blackwood flute

Post by Grishnakh »

This is a copy of the ad on the used instrument exchange forum.
This flute is by Sam Murray (stamped "Muraeus"). It's his usual, renowned, blackwood flute with 3 keys (long C, long F and G#). It has a tuning slide, of course. It is in as-new condition, is of relatively recent manufacture and comes in a sturdy McNeela Music case. The flute has had no cracks, splits, dings or any damage of any kind. It looks just like new. The consumable items, i.e. joints, pads and threaded joints, are all in great condition. It plays stonkingly well, as you would expect from a Murray flute. My reason for selling is financial, not musical. They currently cost £1662 new, with a "6 month" waiting list (as if...). You can have this one for £1350 o.n.o. with no waiting list. PM me for photos, etc.
Last edited by Grishnakh on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: FS: Sam Murray "Muraeus" 3-key blackwood flute

Post by kenny »

When did Sam Murray start stamping his flutes "Mureaus" And why ? First time I've come across this, so I'm curious.
He never had any problem selling them with "Murray" on them.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I saw "Muraeus" flutes by Murray 15 years ago already (right, Marin?). Never understood why, I guess he made 'em with this stamp just for fun.
Last edited by radcliff on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
murrough o'kane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by murrough o'kane »

kenny wrote:When did Sam Murray start stamping his flutes "Mureaus" And why ? First time I've come across this, so I'm curious.
He never had any problem selling them with "Murray" on them.
Have you still got yours, Kenny?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have seen 'Murraeus' ones in Powell's at the Four Corners. But Sam stamped the one I got off him as 'Murray'. I sort of considered the possibility he used the 'Murraeus' for the shop sold ones and the 'Murray' for direct sales. But it is just speculation.

At the time I got mine, his son, Seán, was helping out a bit, at least with keeping up with emails. If they both worked on flutes any cooperatively made flute making could be stamped 'Murraeus'. That's obviously more speculation.
My brain hurts

Grishnakh
Tell us something.: I have played the Irish flute on and off for about 30 years. I used to play in sessions but now I play whistle, flute and harmonica in a band called Waxies Dargle.

Post by Grishnakh »

I got this flute from a music retailer, so maybe your theory is correct. Actually it's "Muraeus" with one "r". That's just in case there are any cheap foreign copies out there with a mis-spelled stamp!
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

I have seen 'Murraeus' ones in Powell's at the Four Corners. But Sam stamped the one I got off him as 'Murray'. I sort of considered the possibility he used the 'Murraeus' for the shop sold ones and the 'Murray' for direct sales. But it is just speculation.[quote][/quote]

I recieved my flute from Sam directly and flute have Muraeus logo on it.
Same situation was with friend of mine who recieved his flute few months after me...
Marin
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The flute Sam took from me was stamped Murray
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

I could be wrong, but I think Muræus may be an attempt to "Latinise" the Surname Murray, by adding the "us" suffix. The æ ligature also originates from the Latin language. I've seen a couple of modern harpsichords where the the maker's name seems to have been Latinised. More pertinent perhaps, is that there was a maker of flutes with the name Muræus in London. He was the successor to mid 18th. Century maker John Just Schuchart. Interestingly, Schuchart left his business to the apprentice Muræus, rather than his own Son. This may be because the latter of whom's surviving instruments are very much below par.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Geez Uni Flute they were ´latinising´ surnames clear back in the Empire itself :poke: You had all these wild colonials trying to gain a little ´culture´ to go along with their shiny new Roman Citizenship :wink: And the Romans themselves were not beyond taking Greek proper nouns and making them into declined latin forms to get a little more ´class´ :D Mureaus would be the least of Sam´s peccadillos :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Grishnakh

Post by Grishnakh »

hmm....a lot of interesting and erudite discussion but, up to now, no one wants to buy it. Oh well, them's the breaks. I hereby lower the price (again) to £1250. The system won't let me edit the original post.
Grishnakh

Post by Grishnakh »

This flute has now gone to All Flutes Plus in London, who will be selling it for me. I would now delete this thread, but I can't figure out how to do that.
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

I don't think it is possible for members to delete their threads once they have comments from others on it. We've had an interesting discussion about variations in Sam Murray's flute stamping, which I think is worth preserving.

Good luck selling your flute. :)