Good mid tier options?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Good mid tier options?

Post by Sedi »

Yes, unfortunately I couldn't find anything more about it, like a recording or something. If it ever was recorded at all.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Now that the subject has been answered properly (doubtless not exhaustively) I feel I can make my completely irrelevant comment:

Every time I see this thread title, I somehow manage to see it in some sort of imagined, Germanic language. "Good mid tier" ... God with the third?

OK. Carry on. :D
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Maybe "Gott mit dir" -- "God be with you" or actually "tier" means animal. So "Gott mit Tier" -- "God with animal". I wonder what animal though.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Sedi wrote:Maybe "Gott mit dir" -- "God be with you" or actually "tier" means animal. So "Gott mit Tier" -- "God with animal". I wonder what animal though.
Well ... it whistles ... maybe this one?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: the CCE playbook...If it doesn't look like a Sindt...you'll get the advice to up your game...
That whole CCE thing fascinates me.

My impression with Killarneys is that it was important for them not only to play like a Sindt, but also look like a Sindt.

Competition breeds conformity, you'd best look and sound like the others. Look at dancing, if you show up in a costume from a decade ago you can't win.

I've competed in Pipe Bands for 40 years now. At any given time there's a "look" that the "serious" bands have, and you'd better look like that or the judges won't think you're worth a listen. If a top band wins a string of competitions wearing buckets on their heads, next year all the bands would show up that way.

Oh there's a "sound" that's in vogue too, it's more than the looks. Currently it's having the bagpipes tuned halfway between Bb and B natural, screaming a quartertone sharp. And at the end of your medley you have to have half your pipers play a reel while simultaneously the other half are playing a slow air.

In solo bagpipe competition there was, around 20 years ago, the exact analogy to the Sindt whistle thing.

There was a bagpipe chanter called Naill and at top competitions every single piper played one. A friend of mine had been winning everything in at the penultimate Grade and when he got promoted to the top Grade he came in last every time.

Finally one judge wrote on his scoresheet "get a Naill" and he did. As soon as he got a Naill he was placing in the middle of the pack.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

So update, got my Tilbury C in today.

I like it significantly more than my Feadog C in several ways. The tuning is miles better. My feadog came so out of tune i had to un-glue the head and pull it out. Making it not tight enough to not move easily so I had to tape it on lol. And even then its only almost in tune. Every note is either flat or sharp of what its supposed to be, and it doesnt even really sound in tune with itself. Second octave after like 2 notes in it starts just sounding really bad. Idk if I'm just not blowing hard enough but that leads into thing 2. The Tilbury tuning is perfect, in the green on my phone tuner every note both octaves.

Thing 2- The Tilbury uses significantly less air. I find it a tad hard to hit the lowest note well because I overblow it (but ill adjust to that quickly). The main perks is that its significantly easier to hit second octave, and especially high second octave. And its quieter. The feadog I technically could hit high second, but it would be way too loud (i'm inside my room), shrill, and not even sound in tune. Which would make me underblow the higher ones for the sake of my ears making is sound extra extra bad.

So overall is a nice upgrade over the feadog. Generally just everything I play sounds better in general on it. I think my feadog was also an extra bad batch lol.

VS my generation Bb the difference is less mind blowing. My generation is the opposite, I think I got a good batch. I read that you can see the dots on ur generation mouthpiece where it connect to the body, mine has 2, which Is usually a good sign. The tuning on it is good but a few notes are off a bit, and its not tunable which could matter down the road. The generation also still takes a lot more air than the Tilbury. Its also Bb so I'm not sure how it would be in C. Maybe I would have almost liked a C generation as much but the Tilbury still just has more quality. Which matters less than Vs the feadog, but in the future at a more advanced level the quality will matter more.

And like I was saying before its just nice to have something you know is good to learn on, vs worrying that im 100% the problem. Now I know I'm only partially the problem haha.

But overall like others have said more money doesnt always mean WAY better. But the little bit of perfect tuning vs a good cheap one like the generation can still matter and can be worth paying a noticable amount more for.

While I'm posting, regarding tuning slides. Should I have it tuned so that blowing as soft as possible to hit the note well is in tune, or blowing slightly harder, or in the middle? I remember reading that non tunable is better for new users so they cant develop bad tuning habbits. so I want to make sure I actually have it tuned how it should be haha.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sedi wrote: "tier" means animal.
Just as it does in English:

But mice and rats and such small deer have been Tom's food for seven long year.

Deer is the native English word, animal is borrowed from Latin.

The use of deer to mean one particular sort of animal is recent.

(German initial T > English D cf tanze > dance etc.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Sedi wrote: "tier" means animal.
Just as it does in English:

But mice and rats and such small deer have been Tom's food for seven long year.

Deer is the native English word, animal is borrowed from Latin.

The use of deer to mean one particular sort of animal is recent.

(German initial T > English D cf tanze > dance etc.)
And as with many things, Dutch falls right in the middle with "dier." "Hert" is the animal with antlers, and "hart" used to be used in English for a stag.
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

bigsciota wrote: "Hert" is the animal with antlers, and "hart" used to be used in English for a stag.
Still in use but only if white and the name of a pub or a lane.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

bwat wrote:
bigsciota wrote: "Hert" is the animal with antlers, and "hart" used to be used in English for a stag.
Still in use but only if white and the name of a pub or a lane.
I see what you mean. :) But actually, it is still in use, mainly for a male red deer. Common word round here, in The Forest of Dean.