SLEEP!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

SLEEP!

Post by Michael w6 »

Any members familiar with, My Pillow? I was pillow shopping the other day. The first pillow offered was over $100! The next was more than $60. A corker mention My Pillow. $50 is still a hefty price for a pillow unless it is supremely comfortable and very eurable.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: SLEEP!

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:Any members familiar with, My Pillow? I was pillow shopping the other day. The first pillow offered was over $100! The next was more than $60. A corker mention My Pillow. $50 is still a hefty price for a pillow unless it is supremely comfortable and very eurable.
I've had two for something less than 10 years now, and both the S.O. and I are still quite happy with them on their own terms. So that's durable for you, at least. However, lately it has come to pass that I'm not so happy with the inventor (or "inventchur", as he says it), but that's another story independent of the product itself, having more to do with his character, and fit only for PMs. For strictly personal reasons I wouldn't buy his brand now, but good pillows being expensive as it is (where I live, anyway), I'm not about to throw mine away as a symbolic gesture, either. All else aside, I think it's a good product user-wise, so I can be objective about it on its own merits, and you can decide the rest for yourself. But there are practical details that won't suit everybody:

There will probably be some sensory adjustment, as some people find the pillow too squeaky to put up with. I didn't find it to be an issue, myself; for me it was quiet enough not to be a disturbance. I don't know if the slight noise goes away as the filling wears a bit, or I've just gotten used to it, but I don't even notice any noise now. It's very comfortable and dependably supportive, but first contact will feel a bit bumpy due to the nature of the filling. However, this goes away with head and neck pressure, so that's not an issue for me, either. A big selling point is that it's washable, which I like, but if you're not doing it by hand, then a machine-washed queen size pillow (which I have) or larger will either need a front-loader or, if you use a top-loader as I must, you will have to wash it twice, flipping it over to get it fully clean, because the filling doesn't collapse in water as clothing does. I don't know how the smaller sizes fare in top-loaders. But with a top-loader you will want to get two pillows, or you will constantly be dealing with imbalance issues. I suppose one possible solution would be to wash clothes or towels along with one pillow, but due to mass differences it may not solve the imbalance issue, and you still might have to wash the pillow twice anyway, again depending on its size. There are no issues with using a dryer, although you may elect to run that twice as well. I don't; after one cycle there's only barely some slight hint of a cool whiff of almost-dampness that evaporates quickly enough.

When I ordered my queen size pillows back in the day, they cost me $60 apiece; I was only interested in your basic, standard pillow design and nothing else. Strictly as pillows go, for me it was money well spent at the time. But for my personal issues with the man I'd certainly buy the product again, but I can't ethically allow myself to put those issues aside, and conscience requires me to say as much. All in all, product or otherwise, YMMV. I have no idea what the prices are now.

I do think it's worth looking into the inventor, his marketing practices, and his alliances to see if that's the sort of person you want to support. It might matter to you; it might not. My own purchase is many years' worth of an already-done deal, but with things coming to my attention in more recent years, it's become a pebble in my shoe at times - like now, for example.

Hope that helps.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The filling is soy-based, a patent he purchased from the space program. Possibly not good if you are allergic to soy, or view it as a hormone disrupter. The filling chunks can certainly be jostled around to adjust the fit. I found the pilllows overall to be far too soft/squishy. Costco sometimes carries them, and I've found a limited selection of the MyPillow products at WalMart.

The owner has certainly made good from his drug addiction & prison/jail days, and contributes to charitable efforts.

He has flirted with the possibility of running for governor of Minnesota in 2022 to replace incumbent Tim Walz, and has taken on the role of campaign chair for President Trump's reelection campaign in Minnesota.

Here's an interview with him on Fox in 2019, along with a transcript.
https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/mypi ... -addiction
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:The filling is soy-based, a patent he purchased from the space program. The filling chunks can certainly be jostled around to adjust the fit. I found the pilllows overall to be far too soft/s quishy.
All right - I didn't know this. Kudos for that, and I'll retract my presumption that it was a synthetic like polyurethane.

Over time, mine seems to have settled some so that it's less over-soft; it's become more like a thick, accommodating soft pad.
kkrell wrote:The owner has certainly made good from his drug addiction & prison/jail days, and contributes to charitable efforts.
It's a well-known story, and that too is greatly to his credit. I certainly have my hat off to him for that.

What I don't like is how he's had little problem making outrageous claims in his marketing, such as being a "Sleep Expert" when he has no such certification, or his pillows being able to treat and cure a number of diseases including cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis. I have very serious issues with someone who'll go that far.
kkrell wrote:He has flirted with the possibility of running for governor of Minnesota in 2022 to replace incumbent Tim Walz, and has taken on the role of campaign chair for President Trump's reelection campaign in Minnesota.
And that is something people will have to take into account on the basis of their own values.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

A pillow's a pillow - these days they're mostly made out of the same stuff as a duvet, not like the old days when they were filled with feathers. But I quite often just fill a pillow case with material of some sort, as it tends to give better support, & it's easily washable - but that's just me. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

fatmac wrote:A pillow's a pillow - these days they're mostly made out of the same stuff as a duvet, not like the old days when they were filled with feathers. But I quite often just fill a pillow case with material of some sort, as it tends to give better support, & it's easily washable - but that's just me. :D
The old days? I sleep on two pillows, stacked one on top of the other. One of them is goose feather and the other is duck down. They have very different qualities, and I find that sometimes I want one of them on top, next to my head, with the other one underneath, and sometimes I want them the other way round.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fatmac wrote:A pillow's a pillow -
Uh - no.

ImageImage
ImageImage

My preferred type of pillow is filled with buckwheat hulls:

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I like the look of that first one. Also, the buckwheat ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I like the look of that first one. Also, the buckwheat ...
I have a very similar wooden neck rest atop one of my bookshelves; I'm looking at it right now. Got it at a curio shop years back. The general concept is African, and they'll come in a number of different forms. Mine's Ethiopian; that specific style appears to be indigenous to that general region, and it looks great - makes me think of ancient Egypt - but I gave it a try, and I couldn't use it. Maybe the one I have is at the wrong elevation for me. So, now it's just another tchotchke.

As to buckwheat hulls, I give them a resounding thumbs up. They allow the pillow to breathe, so it's cooling, and although the pillow isn't fluffy but is instead quite firm and heavier than the usual, it's still very comfortable, because if you like you can easily shape it to conform to you, and it offers great support. It crunches a bit when you move, but that never bothered me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I read the article, and have some observations. The homemade erstatz MyPillow is a commendable idea, for it's a good use of inexpensive memory foam. I'm all about DIY. But it's going to end up in a landfill one day; at least Lindell's filling is soy-based and biodegradable. Also, I very much question her assertion that both of the MyPillows she received didn't have enough filling; the odds of one type of flaw being duplicated in the same shipment are pretty slim, so this raises flags for me. Lindell strikes me as being big on quality control, and I didn't have the article writer's problem, myself: Mine came tightly compressed, and when I opened their wrappings, out they sprang, each as plump as you could ask for.

I'm also curious why she sent them back to Amazon for a refund, and left it at that. Surely she would have seen the TV ads and known how they're supposed to look. At those prices, I would have contacted the manufacturer, because I'm pretty sure Lindell would want to hear about any substandard product leaving the factory, and most consumers would want their voices heard.

So, yeah. For what it's worth...
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

The neck rests seem like precursors of the cervical pillow, which I use and find comfortable.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Kapok. Used it for my zafu. They used to use cat-tails (pu2tuan2) but now they use kapok.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

An Draighean wrote:The neck rests seem like precursors of the cervical pillow, which I use and find comfortable.
It rather does, doesn't it. It's hard for me to be certain from the photo, but that one looks shorter than the one I have, and it seems as if it would be more comfortable for me.
an seanduine wrote:Kapok. Used it for my zafu. They used to use cat-tails (pu2tuan2) but now they use kapok.

Bob
And how could we forget kapok? Never considered cattail fluff ... I will now, though.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

"A pillow's a pillow" -I don't think so. The pillow bought was $16. It came rolled in a plastic bag. This should have been a warning to the quality. I got it home and lay down on it. A napkin might have offered more support. I could not return the pillow, this was stipulated when I purchased it, but still my money was refunded and the pillow went to the trash.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.