BALLADS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

BALLADS

Post by Michael w6 »

I'm currently reading, "Thomas The Rhymer" (E. Kushner) and an anthology, "Ballad Tales" modern retellings of trad ballads. These have whetted my interest in these tales. Suggestions for print editions of ballads and stories?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: BALLADS

Post by chas »

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Morgan Llywellyn writes novels of Irish legends, some of which have ballads based on them. Bard was one; she's written a few about Brian Boru; O'Sullivan's March isn't a ballad, but it is a traditional tune (a 6/8 march).

I read another book based on a ballad around the same time I read Thomas the Rhymer and Bard, but I can't call it up right now. Actually, I just came up with it, it's TAm Lin by Pamela Dean.

Neither Rhymer nor Tam Lin spoke to me that well. I liked the Morgan Llywellyn books (I only read two or three) better. But in the same spirit, you might want to check out Lord Dunsany. The King of Elfland's Daughter was very much in the spirit of the elfin ballads, and a very well put together book. I can't think of a folk song like The Charwoman's Shadow, but it's a really wonderful book, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I had Dean's "Tam Lin" and found it unbearable. Llewellyn I've heard of but not read.

Like the HPL reference.
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Post by Lozq »

While I'm not sure if there are any ballads written about him, you might be interested in the stories/legends of Cu Chulainn?

If you're not acquainted with him, Cu Chulainn is a legendary Irish hero. Lots of monster slaying, single-handedly defeating armies, rescuing fair damsels and whatnot. Demigod and hero of the nation, a sort of Irish Heracles if you will.

Here's Wikipedia's entry for 'Cu Chulainn in Popular Culture', looks like he's been the subject of more than a few songs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_myt ... A_Chulainn
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

Without yet checking the provided link, your description sounds much like "The Tain."
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Post by Lozq »

your description sounds much like "The Tain."
I hadn't heard of that, but you're dead right. 'Táin Bó Cúailnge', or 'The Driving Off of Cows of Cooley' as Wikipedia rather dramatically translates it. It sounds epic, and I shall endeavour to get my mitts on a copy post-haste. Cheers!
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Lozq wrote:
your description sounds much like "The Tain."
I hadn't heard of that, but you're dead right. 'Táin Bó Cúailnge', or 'The Driving Off of Cows of Cooley' as Wikipedia rather dramatically translates it. It sounds epic, and I shall endeavour to get my mitts on a copy post-haste. Cheers!
Thomas Kinsella's translation, while not word-for-word, is nevertheless easy and enjoyable to read.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

An Draighean wrote:Thomas Kinsella's translation [of the Táin], while not word-for-word, is nevertheless easy and enjoyable to read.
Seconded! And the illustrations add a certain extra something as well; done by gloomy ink-and-brush shapes of solid black and just a step away from abstract, for me they somewhat bring cave art to mind.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

I shall endeavour to get my mitts on a copy

I suggest Thrift Books. In the same quest/adventure story genre, but a rather different culture "The Thirtieth Warrior" aka "Eaters of The Dead" is a good read.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:
An Draighean wrote:Thomas Kinsella's translation [of the Táin], while not word-for-word, is nevertheless easy and enjoyable to read.
Seconded! And the illustrations add a certain extra something as well; done by gloomy ink-and-brush shapes of solid black and just a step away from abstract, for me they somewhat bring cave art to mind.
I enjoyed it greatly too (and must read it again sometime) having known the tales in various retellings since childhood. My copy was found and bought new in Holland when I was studying there in 1986–7 and was just one of several surprise Dutch bookshop finds!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:My copy was found and bought new in Holland when I was studying there in 1986–7 ...
I'm not sure, but I think I got mine either in the late 70s or early 80s; I associate it somehow with one of my exes. :wink:

I don't know where it is any more - I might even have given it away. I do that now and again.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Is it harder to find now? I bought mine from the bookstore at Queens University in Belfast, in 1979. I remember because it was the year my wife and I were married, and we spent a lot of money there on our honeymoon.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Lozq

Post by Lozq »

I suggest Thrift Books.
I hadn't come across this mob before, cheers! And only $5 shipping to Australia. Brilliant :)