Your Five favourite Recordings

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Madpiper13
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Your Five favourite Recordings

Post by Madpiper13 »

I’m looking for more music to listen to; what are your five favourite uilleann recordings?
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: Your Five favourite Recordings

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

For me it's hard to narrow it down to favorites... Lately I've been listening to these a lot:
* Joey Abarta, Swimming Against the Falls. Favorite track: 11. The Maid in the Cherry Tree/The Morning Star/The Morning Dew (reels)
* Louise Mulcahy, Tuning the Road. Favorite track: 5. Reels: The Boy On the Hilltop / The Merry Harriers / Five Mile Chase
* Liam O'Flynn, self-titled 1988 cassette (on Youtube here). Favorite track: A3. Limerick's Lamentation
* Seamus Ennis, 1948 acetate recordings (mp3s here, about 2/3 of the way down the page). Favorite track: Paddy O'Rafferty/The Reverend Brother's Jig
* Dicky Deegan, Hibernia. Favorite track: Disc 2, 14. Easter Snow / The Burnt Old Man (Slow Air / Jig)

I love Baroque music played on uilleann pipes, so there's this one:
* Tom Kannmacher and Hubert Arnold, Music of the Gentlemen Pipers: Original Music for Union Bagpipes 1740-1850. Favorite track: 13. The Goblet of Wine
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:
I love Baroque music played on uilleann pipes,
I don't think it's very wellknown but you may fancy this:

My brain hurts

stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Tommy Keane - the Dusty Miller, The Moving Hearts - Lake of Shadows, Port na bPucai - Ronan Browne, Paddy Keenan - The Black Bird?, Davy Spillane - Caoineadh Cu Chulainn, might change yet?
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
RenaissanceGuy wrote:
I love Baroque music played on uilleann pipes,
I don't think it's very wellknown but you may fancy this:

Great suggestion, thank you!
I actually ordered the Camerata Kilkenny CD last week, and I should receive it any day now.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

First, get this out of the way. Everyone should own all these :

The records by Mick O'Brien and Caoimhin O Raghallaigh are at the top, and Mick O'Brien's solo album too. All of the recordings by David Power are amazing. And the records by Ronan Brown and Peter O'Loughlin (probably All the recordings by Cran too). Leo Rowsome's stuff (I am a huge Leo fan). Doublin' by Paddy Glackin and Paddy Keenan and The Whirlwind by Paddy Glackin and Robbie Hannan (and Robbie's solo album of course). Joey Abarta is near the top of my listening list always and that includes his solo album and the album with Nathan Gourely and Owen Marshall called Copley street. And please make sue you have The Wild Keys by Mikie Smyth.

Now that that's been said, here's my top 5 list of maybe slightly lesser known stuff, but not less amazing:

1) "All Covered with Moss" by Allison Perkins and Nicolas Brown (I adore this album. It is probably in my all time top 5)

2) "Traditional Irish Music on Flute and Pipes" - Brian Holleran and Brian Bigley (maybe I'm biased because I know these guys from when I lived in New York, but it's a great album!)

3) "Uilleannn Piping from County Waterford" by Caoimhin O Fearghail (New album. It's at the top of the charts right now in my shop. It's a real keeper though)

4) "Reeds and Rosin" by Todd Denman and Dale Russ (This one shows it's age a little bit. It's from 1997. But I think it holds up. One of the first uilleann piping albums I had.)

5) "Dublin Made Me" Sean McKeon and Liam O'Connor (I didn't want to like this album. I think because Liam O'Connor looks like someone who would beat me up in High School, but damn these are some fine players! The album is extremely good)

Honorable Mention:

"The Rookery" by Emmet Gill and Jessie Smith (Lovely stuff in C. This album never lets me down)

"Good Natured Man" by Preston Howard (I got this just recently. It's a great piping album on concert pitch and C# pipes)
https://prestonhowardwilde.bandcamp.com ... atured-man
Last edited by elbowmusic on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

A fair sampler of favourites:
Brian McNamara - "Piper's Dream", and with Tim Collins "Reed Only"
Mick O'Brien and - "Kitty Lie Over," and with Emer Maycock & Aoife ni Bhriain - "Tunes from the Goodman Manuscripts"
David Power - The eighteen Moloney
Open the Door for Three - "Open the Door for Three"

and to add some variety:
Florence Fahy - "Tunes from the Flaggy Shore"
Joe Heaney - "Say a Song"
Catherine McEvoy, Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh, & Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh - "Comb Your Hair And Curl It"
Gráinne Hambly - "Between the Showers"

dave boling
Last edited by daveboling on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Kuddel
Tell us something.: Living near hannover lower saxony germany and try to play pipes selfteached since 1980, now mainly on a flat set by Andreas

Post by Kuddel »

some of my favourites

- Tommy Reck: Stone in the field
- Peter Carberry &Padraig McGovern: forgotten Gems
- David Power: the eighteen Moloney
and the
- fire aflame.....

cheers
robf
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper and flute player from the South West of Ireland. Currently playing a keyless Grinter flute and a full concert pitch set of Victor Mullally pipes.

Post by robf »

Ceol arsa na bPíob - Eánna Ó Cróinín. Top notch, raw piping.

Kitty Lie over - Mick O'Brien & Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh.

Any recordings by Willie Clancy.

Any recordings of Seamus Ennis.

Wind among the reeds - Tommy Keane & Jacqueline McCarthy.