Irish Speak

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Irish Speak

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

oleorezinator wrote:https://youtu.be/4rb0HPDnc8Y
I watched all of that. I don't know who the guy is, but it was very interesting. There didn't seem to be any real conclusion, that I could find, other than that both the Southern American accent and any and every British accent have moved considerably since Shakespeare's day, and don't really bear any resemblance to each other or to Shakespeare's English any more, even though some changes have occurred almost in parallel.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

His Southern US accent was remarkably good. BUT: I am compelled to point out that it's AN accent. The South has many regional ones, and while all can be readily identified as Southern, none is THE accent; his was quite nasal, and not all Southern accents are like that, nor is pronunciation universal throughout the South. I noticed that some in the comments section pinpointed, among others, eastern Tennessee/western South Carolina, but one comment said that the rhythm was wrong. But rhythm aside, I was very impressed, and to his credit the Southerners were, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

This means Americans (´Murcans :D ) pronounce the letter ´r´ every time it is in the spelling, and never when it is not. *

I returned to this post out of curiosity. I suspect the quote above is backwards. People add and "r" when it is not there, especially after an "a." e.g. "idear" for "idea."
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
WaltP
Tell us something.: . .

Post by WaltP »

Interesting. Which regional accent is that? We don't do that over here on the West coast.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I have heard it in people I've known from NY. Specifically where in NY I don't recall.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Quoting an seaduine, Michael w6 wrote:This means Americans (´Murcans :D ) pronounce the letter ´r´ every time it is in the spelling, and never when it is not. *
I prefer the spelling "'Merkin". :wink:
Michael w6 wrote:I suspect the quote above is backwards. People add and "r" when it is not there, especially after an "a." e.g. "idear" for "idea."
People? I sure don't. You wouldn't normally hear it in the Midwest at all, and in fact I've only heard such pronunciation from people from the east of the nation. Elsewhere: nope.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Despite JFK´s use of the Berlin-centric dialect ¨Ich bin ein Berliner¨, he was well known for such downeasternisms as Americker, and idear. Altho´ I never heard him say ¨thutty¨ for ¨thirty¨. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:Despite JFK´s use of the Berlin-centric dialect ¨Ich bin ein Berliner¨
I was going to point out the supposed amusement that that speech caused but, having looked it up, I see that it's partially at least an urban myth.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Yes, Ben, I´ve been told one thing people don´t get is the odd linguistic tension between Berliners and the rest of Germany. A friend´s German War bride described the Berliner accent and attitude similar to that of NY Brooklynese. And no, JFK was not saying he was a kind of pastry. :D The crowd at ´The Wall´ loved it.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

People? I sure don't. People, yes, at least some people. It is rare to hear a cat or dog speak. Though Hinkley had a different opinion on this.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:It is rare to hear a cat or dog speak. Though Hinkley had a different opinion on this.
Not with speech, of course, but all my cats have been great communicators. All one has to do is pay attention. Although I did have a de-tailed ginger tom - Fido was his name - who sort of spoke: When it was time for bed, I'd say "Nigh-nigh" to him, and he'd say "Nigh-nigh" right back. That was uncanny.

And I see that you still haven't yet adopted the practice of availing yourself of the quote functions. :poke:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
People? I sure don't. You wouldn't normally hear it in the Midwest at all, and in fact I've only heard such pronunciation from people from the east of the nation. Elsewhere: nope.
It's a Northeastern thing. The worst offenders are in Vermont.

Also, listen to Sarah Brightman sing "Phantom of the Opera." She does it too:

The Phantom of the Operer is there inside my mind
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:Also, listen to Sarah Brightman sing "Phantom of the Opera." She does it too:

She absolutely definitely doesn't. I've just had to listen again. Why on Earth would someone so quintessentially English pronounce something like that? And, in fact, she doesn't. Her diction and pronunciation are perfect, and she pronounces each syllable - o (beautiful, round 'O) - per (so that you can hear the 'e') - a. That's it. No 'r' on the end at all.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:Also, listen to Sarah Brightman sing "Phantom of the Opera." She does it too:

She absolutely definitely doesn't. I've just had to listen again.

I agree with Ben on this one.
benhall.1 wrote:Why on Earth would someone so quintessentially English pronounce something like that?
That, my friend, is a different issue entirely. I hear many a rhoticized ending A out of certain UK accents - not all, of course - mainly where an ending A precedes another vowel, but it can be stand-alone, too. I've heard Right Ponders saying words like "yoga" and pronouncing it "yoger" (this comparison uses my Midwest US pronunciation to inform the spelling, where the lone A in the first is often reduced to a schwa, and the R in the second is pronounced: an alveolar/retroflex sound called a rhotic approximant). You'll hear it in the States, too, but it's less prevalent; I associate it with certain Eastern US accents, notably New England as chas has indicated. In my own accent, certain vowel combinations (A and O, for example) are usually separated by beginning the next with with a light glottal stop, so a rhotic separation of vowels really stands out to my ear.