Tuning help

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Shawn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am just trying to update my profile. Add my location, I joined to get some help with the pipes, I figured i should let folks know where I live, maybe I'll luck out and there is someone near me that wouldn't mind helping me get started.

Tuning help

Post by Shawn »

I am new to the uilleann pipes, I have an O'Grady half set in D I bought second hand. I cannot get the Back D or C to sharpen, they both sound terrible, flat and weak. I tried lowering the reed to the point where I couldn't get it any lower, it seemed to be helping so I trimmed the staple so i could get it lower, which also helped but then I trimmed too much and destroyed that reed, luckily my pipes came with two reeds, I don't want to destroy another reed so I figure it is time to ask for help. Any tips on how to sharpen those two notes. and/or any recommendations on someone to talk to about making me a new reed for this chanter, I have not been able to find any contact info for Neil O'Grady. Thanks.

Also any pipers out there in Northern Minnesota?
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Tuning help

Post by tommykleen »

There are quite a few pipers in the Twin Cities metro area. There's a fine piper (Jeremy Kingsbury) up near Grand Portage (I think) .
PM me for more deets.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

One thing in general, for people new to uilleann piping it's better to not modify the reeds.

The person who made the reed knows much more about how they're supposed to be made, how they're supposed to function, than a beginner does.

Now making adjustments, which don't permanently change the reed, is one thing (and I would advise caution even there) but for sure a beginner shouldn't shave reeds and modify staples and such.

Most likely the problem is coming from improper technique rather than anything fundamentally wrong with the reed.

About adjusting the bridle, I know one guy, a Highland piper who started learning uilleann pipes, who injured his shoulder due to having the reed so far open, so stiff, that it took Herculean effort to blow the pipes. Any uilleann piper would have instantly diagnosed and solved the problem. It's things like that which make it so important to get together with an experienced piper. Skype lessons aren't nearly as effective for reed things.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Michael Long
Tell us something.: I really enjoy playing tin whistle, low whistle and uilleann pipes. This is a great place to get information about those things.

Post by Michael Long »

I have a theory that the Uilleann Pipes play the player as much as the player plays the pipes.

Sometimes it takes a while to play a set and find where some of the tuning is "hidden". Depending on conditions, there are some days that are more difficult than others, especially Ds and Cs. Sometimes the tuning is in the reed, sometimes the tuning is in the bag (pressure), sometimes it is in the humidity level.

Just keep listening and playing and try to enjoy it!

Making connections with other pipers is also a huge bonus... even if it is by email or video these days.

Best of luck!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I made a house call: Shawn needs a new reed. It's not him, not the set.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.