ebay flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

ebay flute

Post by john »

Can anyone tell me what this is? Is it Pakistani?
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: ebay flute

Post by Sedi »

I'm no expert but just the fact that someone is selling a wooden flute, without mentioning who made it, raises a red flag.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

oh, yes.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

You can probably expect the quality to be commensurate with the price. But why ask us ? Ask the guy who's selling it. He might know.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Rings, construction & quality of cork lapping, along with case, price & common UK eBay location say Pakistani to me.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Post by Lozq »

I'm no expert, but I'd hazard a guess that anything with a 'Buy It Now!' price of £23.00 may lack a certain je-ne-sais-quois.
john

Post by john »

The reason I asked the question here was because I thought (correctly) that there would be people on this forum who've seen everything that's out there and would know straight away.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

kenny wrote:But why ask us ? Ask the guy who's selling it. He might know.
Some dealers are less than scrupulous when it comes to these sorts of questions. And if the flute is used, the person who bought it may well not realize the ultimate provenance of the flute. I've seen a good few eBay listings along the lines of "Handmade Irish Flute, bought in Ireland" from people who obviously bought it on a lark while on holiday and have no clue what it is they're actually selling.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

But you'll never know unless you ask.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Everything about that looks identical to a Pakistani made flute that I was given to try for a while some years back. It was unplayable - very nearly impossible to fit together for a start!

If it is indeed exactly the same as the one I had, as it looks to me to be, and you still end up buying it, be very careful of the case, as there were staples hidden not very far under the 'velvet' on the one I had, and they gave me a nasty cut, which also reacted quite badly, as if there was some poisonous metal or something in the staple.