Piccolo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Piccolo

Post by davidbruce »

Looking into getting a piccolo, but I have a lot of questions.

I currently play Highland Pipes, flute, and whistle.

A lot of what I've read suggests that a piccolo can be harsh, shrill (and other pejorative terms). Some of the whistles I have fit that description. I am hoping to find a piccolo that has the sound quality of a whistle like a tweaked blackbird.

I am most likely to play in the low register. Are there piccolos that have a strong low register?

Other articles say that a fife or piccolo will overpower other instruments, as well as field artillery. Is that necessarily true?

It seems like a conical bore is important. I would love to get one of Terry McGee's, but, sadly, I can't afford to take that plunge.

From what I have read, there are a lot of piccolo, fife, and flute players in the world. What advice do you have for one who just wants to have some fun with yet another instrument, and play some Irish Traditional Music?

Thanks to all/
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Piccolo

Post by Casey Burns »

Check out the Requintas from Galicia. These are played an octave above the Gaitas in Bb and C and are lots of fun. Here are some examples of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j1GM77oF9E

These flutes are in F and G. You can find antique F flutes that would work an octave above your Highland pipes for a similar effect. Look for the narrower bore French or German ones, since you are pushing up to the 4th and 5th in the 3rd register. The English ones will do this but are a bit more work. However, these also are great in the 1st octaves.

Casey
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Any good with your hands, davidbruce, or have some clever friends? While a conical bore is desirable for the best results, you can have a lot of fun with a simple piccolo made from cylindrical tubing. I haven't explored it, but sites like https://www.instructables.com/id/Making ... VC-Flutes/ might get you going.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Would Peter Worrel's piccolos fit within your budget?

http://www.peterworrell.co.uk/simplesystempiccolo.htm
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I was lucky to get an amazing deal on a second hand piccolo made by some character named 'Jem the Flute.' If you see that one becomes available you should definitely grab it!
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I was inspired by a cassette of John Doonan called John Doonan At the Feis. I don't think his playing was shrill. I do believe he was playing a simple system piccolo in D. But I may be wrong. It is available on Amazon music for less than 10 dollars. But if you are curious what a master can do before you commit, listening to the samples will give you a treat.

Sometimes a nice 6 key antique will turn up at The Irish Flute store.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Tony Dixon brass piccolo. :thumbsup:

(Great player, & not very expensive.)

Or, if you want to spend a bit more, Tony Dixon Duo in aluminium, slightly more mellow sound.

(Even their ABS piccolo plays well & sounds great.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

How about a "Miller Browne" marching flute in B flat? They even make them fully keyed for very reasonable prices.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I have a keyless piccolo from Peter Worrell that I treat like a flute, not a fife (never go into third octave). It isn't too loud or too shrill, and fellow musos tell me they like it better than a whistle in both octaves. Like all the smaller flutes, it demands a very good embouchure, so I play it from time to time when I think my embouchure needs a tune-up.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
davidbruce
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Post by davidbruce »

Thanks, everyone for the great information. Now I have a much clearer idea as to what I am looking
for.
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hi,

I got a piccolo in D by Jem Hammond.

It is great. With embouchure control you can reach the first 4 notes of the 3rd octave making its playable range 2 and a half octave.

Ive ask him to make me in C,B and C# since 2016 and make it tunnable, but he is still busy. :lol:

As per the shrillness, its really with the embouchure.
I can make the low notes loud and high notes soft depending on my air stream and lip formations.

This is kinda opposite of Whistle.
I find the Flute much easier than the low whistle but
I find the Tin whistle easier than the Piccolo by a higher degree.

I frequently use it instead of my Tin Whistle.

If you've been playing the piccolo, you'll be surprise to see that it will make your flute playing easier.

Its like playing flute with weights. I can feel more muscle usage in my cheeks, chin and and lips when I play the piccolo.

Regards,

Angel
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”