Contact

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Contact

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:...... The expression is not "hanky out"; it's "wear the hanky out"; and it's not even an expression - he's just saying that he doesn't wear it when he goes out, and therefore may not be recognised.
I think it should be one now (expression that is). It has a certain obscure charm. Maybe C&F members can use it as a recognition symbol at sessions?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

To be fair, 'wear out' is ambigious, with the meaning sometimes indicated by how the sentence is stressed. Also, is 'out' as a contraction of 'out in public' universal or an idiom?
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sorry, been without interwebs connection for 24 hours.
I think it should be one now (expression that is).

Ben is correct and I'd think it's pretty common usage, here at least. 'You're not wearing that out,are you' = 'Don't tell me you're going out dressed like that'. That sort of thing. 'it's nice out', 'The sun is shining, lovely weather' . Nothing unusual.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Ben is correct and I'd think it's pretty common usage, here at least. 'You're not wearing that out,are you' = 'Don't tell me you're going out dressed like that'. That sort of thing. 'it's nice out', 'The sun is shining, lovely weather' . Nothing unusual.
Yes, we would say that here, too. My misunderstanding was from a completely different angle, and fourfold (in no particular order, but I'll try to make it logical): 1) I had never thought of the improvised headgear as a hanky per se (but, really, in retrospect what else could it be?). 2) Apart from headgear, in my typical speech one doesn't wear a hanky; one carries it. 3) HOWEVER: the hanky carried in your pocket can either be completely out of sight or exposed; in the latter case I would easily call that wearing the hanky out; hence my ordering of the words "hanky out". 4) Thus, the words "I never wear the hanky out", in the sense of being exposed, sounded like a metaphor for being identifiable: "Yep: he's wearing his hanky out. A Chiffer for sure. I think it's safe to tell him where the private session is."

But once I made the headgear=hanky=wearing connection, all became clear.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:Ben is correct and I'd think it's pretty common usage, here at least. 'You're not wearing that out,are you' = 'Don't tell me you're going out dressed like that'. That sort of thing. 'it's nice out', 'The sun is shining, lovely weather' . Nothing unusual.
Yes, we would say that here, too. My misunderstanding was from a completely different angle, and fourfold (in no particular order, but I'll try to make it logical): 1) I had never thought of the improvised headgear as a hanky per se (but, really, in retrospect what else could it be?). 2) Apart from headgear, in my typical speech one doesn't wear a hanky; one carries it. 3) HOWEVER: the hanky carried in your pocket can either be completely out of sight or exposed; in the latter case I would easily call that wearing the hanky out; hence my ordering of the words "hanky out". 4) Thus, the words "I never wear the hanky out", in the sense of being exposed, sounded like a metaphor for being identifiable: "Yep: he's wearing his hanky out. A Chiffer for sure. I think it's safe to tell him where the private session is."

But once I made the headgear=hanky=wearing connection, all became clear.
You can be a very strange man, you know, Mr Hedron ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:You can be a very strange man, you know, Mr Hedron ...
I've been told this many times, but it's not as if I try. I may well be a mutant of some kind.

Might there another word for that appallingly outré headgear thingum other than just "hanky"?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Might there another word for that appallingly outré headgear thingum other than just "hanky"?
The thing is, it is a hanky. It's knotted at the corners, so as to make it into a sort of makeshift hat. The whole image comes, as far as I know, from an old stereotype of the typical British male on a beach, using his own handkerchief, which everyone used to have in their pocket at all times so was handy for the purpose, as it were, as a sun hat. People used to be much more careful about the sun than they are these days, which is a shame, as the sun tends to be more dangerous now, what with the thinning ozone layer in the last few decades. We should bring back the fashion for the knotted hanky.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:We should bring back the fashion for the knotted hanky.
Heaven forfend. No, it strips a man of any shred of dignified aspect he might otherwise have. Take my advice: keep it relegated to the dustbin of history, and go with snappy hats instead. We want to admire our UK cousins, not worry for you.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Heaven forfend. No, it strips a man of any shred of dignified aspect he might otherwise have. Take my advice: keep it relegated to the dustbin of history, and go with snappy hats instead. We want to admire our UK cousins, not worry for you.
Bit late for that, I would say. :(
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Bit late for that, I would say. :(
Oh, that. Well, I would hesitate to infer current events as being the wages of a bygone willingness to sink to sartorial nadirs, for as tempting as it might be for a wag to go there. :wink:
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote:
Snappy hats were all well and good back in the day, when you could check them but I found that when I came into a restaurant or hall or really any room there as never a place to put the hat. Nothing beats a good fedora in the rain, but they require a surprising amount of infrastructure
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:Snappy hats were all well and good back in the day, when you could check them but I found that when I came into a restaurant or hall or really any room there as never a place to put the hat. Nothing beats a good fedora in the rain, but they require a surprising amount of infrastructure
Well, if you insist on the venerable custom of not wearing your hat to the table and there's no coat check, nor do the chairs have ears on the back posts to rakishly hang it from, nor will there be an unused chair beside you to set it on, nor will there be room enough to set it on the table or beside you on a bench seat, nor will there be enough of a (hopefully not dusty) window ledge for the purpose, then there's always the option of improvising and asking the maitre d' (or whatever passes for one) to mind it for you. If they won't, then wear it proudly as you dine, and just tell yourself that if a hipster can get away with it, why then, so can you. :D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
Heaven forfend. No, it strips a man of any shred of dignified aspect he might otherwise have.
I don't think I'd ever imagined the term "dignified aspect" applied to a Gumby (our own Mr. Gumby excepted). If there's anyone on the C&F who isn't familiar with the Gumbys (heaven forfend, this really is one of the cornerstones of cultural literacy), I offer this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNV1U34p6jk

Unfortunately the classic rendition of The Cherry Orchard is only available on youtube as audio-only, but it's well worth a listen.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote:
PB+J wrote:Snappy hats were all well and good back in the day, when you could check them but I found that when I came into a restaurant or hall or really any room there as never a place to put the hat. Nothing beats a good fedora in the rain, but they require a surprising amount of infrastructure
Well, if you insist on the venerable custom of not wearing your hat to the table and there's no coat check, nor do the chairs have ears on the back posts to rakishly hang it from, nor will there be an unused chair beside you to set it on, nor will there be room enough to set it on the table or beside you on a bench seat, nor will there be enough of a (hopefully not dusty) window ledge for the purpose, then there's always the option of improvising and asking the maitre d' (or whatever passes for one) to mind it for you. If they won't, then wear it proudly as you dine, and just tell yourself that if a hipster can get away with it, why then, so can you. :D

A hat, indoors, while dining!?? Never sir! I'd sooner wear a linen suit before memorial day or after labor day!

Fortunately Covid has resolved all sartorial conflcts.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:If there's anyone on the C&F who isn't familiar with the Gumbys (heaven forfend, this really is one of the cornerstones of cultural literacy) ...
*raises hand*

Well, to be clear, I'm totally familiar with the gawky character, but I never knew he was called Gumby until now. I honestly thought Mr.Gumby's nick was simply an incidental curiosity, having been nursed on the Gumby of my childhood, and no other. The rock under which I reside has been opened yet another millimeter.
PB+J wrote:I'd sooner wear a linen suit before memorial day or after labor day!
Until they can come up with wrinkle-free linen, I'd sooner not wear it at all. I love natural fibers, but linen's why God invented hemp. Do you know, I'd love to see nettles used more. Makes a lovely, soft and strong fabric, and the plant itself grows like ... well, a weed.