Contact

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Contact

Post by Michael w6 »

Is there a way to search this site for members who live in one's area? It would be good to meet others engaged in the same pursuit.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Contact

Post by benhall.1 »

Michael w6 wrote:Is there a way to search this site for members who live in one's area? It would be good to meet others engaged in the same pursuit.
Do you know, I've never thought of doing that.

Anyway, I don't know of a way directly. You might try the site's own search function, but it's not the greatest search function, to be honest. Maybe you could try a Google site search, something like site:forums.chiffandfipple.com Wisconsin The trouble with that is, though, that members would have to put where they live, and I notice that you haven't Michael w6. So I'd start with your own profile and put your location in.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Michael,

I think that is a great idea to be able to meet with those of like interest in your local area. I'm very new to tin whistles and was hoping to find a club or association in my area but so far no luck.

Tx
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

So I'd start with your own profile and put your location in.

I went back to mu profile but cannot access it to make changes. The list of abbreviations on the left I don't know.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Michael w6 wrote:Is there a way to search this site for members who live in one's area? It would be good to meet others engaged in the same pursuit.
Do you know, I've never thought of doing that.
Used to happen a fair amount before Facebook changed everything, Hell mend them. Nowadays you might know someone from a session for years, and not even know they're a C&F member; but to be fair, it's not something we Chiffers tend to bring up out of the blue in the 3D. I mean, who'd be interested in that? But you never know.

But there used to be C&F member gatherings - sometimes from across the country - or individuals would meet up, sometimes even by chance. We'd post about these encounters, calling them "sightings".

When I used to run a learners' session, one day I was at the bar having a meal before it was time to start, and a total stranger sits down next to me and asks, "Are you Nanohedron?" I nearly jumped out of my skin and lost my lunch. Jayzus, I thought, I've got a stalker. But then again, it was all Board info and no secret, so it would be natural for a newcomer who also happens to be a Chiffer to start out like that: Just find someone who's likely to know who the session wrangler is, follow the pointing finger, and go up and freak him out. :lol:

I took a piping workshop run by Pat D'Arcy where even though he knew my real name perfectly well, he kept calling me "Nano" in front of God and everyone. I mean, fercryinoutloud. I nearly killed him. :devil:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I went back to mu profile but cannot access it to make changes. The list of abbreviations on the left I don't know.
Go to User Control Panel (top right of any page). Click that; on the left of the UCP page you'll see a list of choices: click Profile. From there you can update your profile by adding your location, which will thereafter show under your posts' avatar. It might temporarily disable your account - some updates do, others don't, and I'm not entirely clear on which is which - but if it does, not to worry. Re-enabling updated accounts is one of the things Admin does around here; the only drawback is that it might take us a day to notice.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

thesession.org has that map feature that gives you nearby members.

I don't know, I had several people from C&F visit at one time but that was more than ten years ago. Most were very welcome but there came a point people started arriving, without establishing much advance contact or rapport, who just wanted to be taken to sessions, get introduced to musicians and given the tour while on their holidays and I didn't fancy that too much. I have since changed my location to the generic 'back of beyond' rather than the actual place. It's better that way.

I have received the odd 'hello Mr Gumby' in real life but mostly, and thankfully, tongue in cheek. I hide in plain sight, compartmentalise, never wear the hanky out.
My brain hurts

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Mr.Gumby wrote: I have received the odd 'hello Mr Gumby' in real life but mostly, and thankfully, tongue in cheek. I hide in plain sight, compartmentalise, never wear the hanky out.
LOL! I was going to suggest you change your avatar so that people wouldn't recognize you, and definitely don't show off your theatre chops, no quoting Chekov.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Mr.Gumby wrote:thesession.org has that map feature that gives you nearby members.

I don't know, I had several people from C&F visit at one time but that was more than ten years ago. Most were very welcome but there came a point people started arriving, without establishing much advance contact or rapport, who just wanted to be taken to sessions, get introduced to musicians and given the tour while on their holidays and I didn't fancy that too much. I have since changed my location to the generic 'back of beyond' rather than the actual place. It's better that way.

I have received the odd 'hello Mr Gumby' in real life but mostly, and thankfully, tongue in cheek. I hide in plain sight, compartmentalise, never wear the hanky out.

Mr.Gumby,

Looks like it's a case of unintended consequences.....the original intent (I'm assuming) was to further the interest in whistling but sadly a few can mess things up for the majority. :(

Now on the other hand.......you could of used it as an opportunity to start a second business......... guided tours of the sessions and musicians and charged the people an arm and a leg! :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I ... never wear the hanky out.
I get the meaning, but I've never heard that expression before. Went a-Googling, but so far nothing. Maybe it's because I've got a Yank IP ...
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

You might try it backwards: "Hi, I'm Mike from Minnesota near St. Cloud. I'd love to know if any of you are nearby. I've been playing whistle for a year," inserting the relevant facts. You might find people near you willing to reach out.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:You might try it backwards: "Hi, I'm Mike from Minnesota near St. Cloud. I'd love to know if any of you are nearby. I've been playing whistle for a year," inserting the relevant facts. You might find people near you willing to reach out.
Sure, why not? Do it in the Whistle Forum. :thumbsup:
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Nanohedron wrote:
I get the meaning, but I've never heard that expression before. Went a-Googling, but so far nothing. Maybe it's because I've got a Yank IP ...
I read it not as a generic expression but as a specific reference to the handkerchief shown in his avatar picture, and a witty one at that. Am I missing something deeper?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I read it not as a generic expression but as a specific reference to the handkerchief shown in his avatar picture, and a witty one at that. Am I missing something deeper?
Here's where I have to be filled in, because ever since I started viewing C&F through the secure website lens, avatars stopped showing for me with the curious exception of Ben's. Even his goes away sometimes, and only one or two others will be visible, but it's always temporary. It's kind of a drag, actually, because I like avatars, dammit. But not so much that I'm willing to go back to unsecured.

I do remember Mr.Gumby's avatar, though, and for me the "hanky out" expression didn't bring to mind the headgear, if that's what you're referring to. However, the more I think of it, the more sense it makes.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I do remember Mr.Gumby's avatar, though, and for me the "hanky out" expression didn't bring to mind the headgear
You're making way too much of it. The expression is not "hanky out"; it's "wear the hanky out"; and it's not even an expression - he's just saying that he doesn't wear it when he goes out, and therefore may not be recognised.