Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
JordanMcConnell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Re: Ebay Items

Post by JordanMcConnell »

I can add a bit of information here...
The case in the middle of the above picture is definitely the Rogge flight case.
The Rogge full set looks almost identical to one I owned from 2006. Same mounts and styling. Possibly from the same era? Not sure how much his designs have changed over the years but I've seen a few newer sets where the mounts looked quite different.
The bass bar on the set I owned came with a shorter length plain tubing cover that was there to protect the reed when you removed the 'real' reed cover allowing you to fit it in the case. Thats what you're seeing in the picture. Essentially, unless you removed the inner cover the 'real' one was just for show. It didn't ever seem to affect the performance either way, with the inner cover on or removed.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

14: Peter Hunter half set (A guess)
The Hunter shapes are pretty distinct and clear. An informed guess at a minimum. :)
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The « Rogge » chanter doesn’t look like it came with the rest of the « Rogge » set. Other than the mounts being different, it looks too long for the drones and regs, like it’s a flat chanter with D drones and regs.
PJ
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Over $3,000 already. Grab your popcorn.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Vignoles practice set - US only, relisted.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

The big listing got nuked and it looks like she is re-listing each piece individually.

Rogge chanter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDREAS-ROGGE- ... 3891233716
Hunter half set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uilleann-Pipes ... 4377033164
westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

I was the first to bid on the lot of pipes, and had maintained the high bid until the seller "nuked" the auction. I reached out for more info at the start, and the seller communicated that they'd received a lot of messages and other offers, so it sounds like they've likely sold some of the sets out from under me. Pretty unscrupulous and disappointing, but I'm not terribly surprised. I feel like they've probably violated some eBay policies here, but doubtful that I have much recourse or that eBay will do anything to help.

With this seller's lack of knowledge, I'm afraid they will part out these sets incorrectly. They have not responded to any of my recent messages. Buyers beware, and "thanks" to those who meddled in the auction. (Yes, I may be feeling a little "butt-hurt", for lack of a better term... how would you feel?)
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Looks like the seller has split out or sold some of the items, but has put 2 back onto eBay.

Half set and case - possible Hunter set

Rogge Chanter

David
westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

Update: The seller replied to one of my messages telling them that splitting this lot up is a mistake, as they will mix up reeds/parts with the wrong sets. This was their reply:

"HI WITH REGARDS TO LOOSE REEDS THEY WHERE NOT INCLUDED IN ORIGINAL LISTING ANYWAY" [sic]

My reply to this was:

"A: They were pictured with the auction, there was no message saying that they weren't included, and therefore not including them is false advertising.

B: Without reeds, the instruments can't function. You have the auction(s) listed as "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." That is also misleading.

C: Reeds are not usually interchangeable. They are custom-fit to each individual instrument. The uilleann pipes are not like a clarinet or saxophone-- you can't just go to a music store and buy a generic reed.

Again, I believe you've made a mistake by trying to capitalize on whatever messages you may have received outside of the original auction. By separating all of these out, and not having the knowledge of what-goes-with-what, you've highly increased the likelihood of buyers being upset at their purchase, and demanding refunds and/or receiving negative feedback. If you'd let the original auction run, you'd have spared the hit to your reputation as a seller, and may have made more money anyways. Now that the small community of pipers has seen you playing games here, they might be more reluctant to bid.

Perhaps you should have done more research or reached out to forums BEFORE listing the auction, instead of using the auction as a means to get more info, then cancelling the auction because you think you can get more money this way. This is unscrupulous, and I feel that you have violated eBay policies."

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a drama queen, but I thought other potential bidders on these items should be aware.
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Bummer.

This was the biggest lot I can remember since a friend of mine bought a cardboard box full of very old Highland pipe parts.

I can't remember now, but I think there were four or five complete sets once he got all the parts sorted. Sets of very high quality, over 100 years old as I recall.

Plus various bits and bobs.

As we see it takes somebody who is knowledgeable to get their hands on the lot and get everything correctly sorted.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

I thought I was getting most of the uilleann sets in my saved searches, but after trying a few different settings I found these.

John Mitchell practice set - UK and Ireland only. A new maker?

Didier Heuline left handed practice set - EU only.

David
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

I believe that would be John Mitchell of the Cork Pipers Club, been making pipes for some time:
http://corkwoodturning.blogspot.com/201 ... kshop.html
john

Post by john »

In reference to the treasure trove of pipes being sold on eBay, how would someone come into possession of such a haul, not even knowing what they'd acquired? One of those blind auctions where they sell things lost in the post, or lost property?
john

Post by john »

With regard to my question, I understand that blind auction is the wrong term. I meant when you bid on a lot but don't know what you're bidding on, like a suitcase that was lost on a flight and was never claimed.