Where has the uilleannforum gone?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tiarnard
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle player/maker and uilleann piper. I am not a spammer or a robot. To demonstrate this, I will proclaim: fipple, crann, cut, roll, tap, mouthpiece. Ebony and mopane are good woods, brass is nice too (though it's not a wood), I wish I had a Copeland, and I broke my fist Clarke whistle trying to tweak it. Cheers!

Where has the uilleannforum gone?

Post by Tiarnard »

I guess the post title pretty much says it all. What ever happened to uilleannforum.com? All the pages are broken now, except for the forum menu page. That was such a wealth of information, especially the section on reeds and pipemaking. Just wondering if someone on here knows anything about it, or whether there's a plan to get it up and running again.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Where has the uilleannforum gone?

Post by rorybbellows »

Probably caught " the Rona" and breathe its last.

RORY

PS Or gone into isolation.
I'm Spartacus .
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

Dronavirus?

just sayin...
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

Shame! A lot of great information etc. was also lost along with it's closing. Even as a beginner, it looked like the site wasn't long for this world. I did learn from it. Rest in peace! Hope this one is able to hang in there.

Richard
truckley_howler
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes and would like to converse with other pipers. I'd also like to keep an eye out for "for sale" ads for used pipes.

Post by truckley_howler »

It's a bit of a pain, but for now you can still try to browse by using this google search: "topic of interest site:uilleannforum.com"

Then instead of clicking the links in the search results, click the down-arrow and request the cached page. The formatting is all screwy, but the content is there!
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

The piper's review from 2007 to 2013 is available via Na Pióbaire Uilleann' s site, together with The Uilleann Piper from 1974/75.
https://pipers.ie/resources/the-pipers-review/
anima

Post by anima »

I own Uilleannforum.com, about 2 months ago my webhost upgraded the version of PHP on it's servers, this was a non-passive upgrade that brought the site down. I'm not sure if I have the energy to go and do the forum upgrades again. It didn't get much traffic anymore and it is a constant battle against the effin' spambots. It's just me running the site and it looks like NPU at some point downloaded all the back issues of the Pipers Review I scanned and hosted back in the day (or maybe the Pipers Review folks did that) and now host them over there... so there's no need for that part of the site anymore. I'll bring it back if enough folks ask, but for now....

Truth is folks always just liked the conversation over here better.... vhs v betamax.... apple v windows I guess.

Jeff
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I think there's a lot of great info on that site, Jeff. I, for one, would love to see it back, even if it's just the old posts.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Tiarnard
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle player/maker and uilleann piper. I am not a spammer or a robot. To demonstrate this, I will proclaim: fipple, crann, cut, roll, tap, mouthpiece. Ebony and mopane are good woods, brass is nice too (though it's not a wood), I wish I had a Copeland, and I broke my fist Clarke whistle trying to tweak it. Cheers!

Post by Tiarnard »

I've gotta agree with Nate; even if the forum was no longer active, just to have the material to read is a treasure trove.
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

I'll third - the number of times I google something and the exact question was asked/answered on Uilleann Forum is pretty high.
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

WE WANT UILLEANNFORUM BACK!!!!!!!!! :D :)

Good info there.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Jeff,

Is there any possibility for your uilleannforum site to be archived here at Chiff and Fipple?
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

I also found it to be a great resource for all sorts of info and questions to be answered. I think it's a good suggestion to team up with another existing site and have it hosted somewhere else if it is not viable to keep it running independently.
m muir

Post by m muir »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I miss pipeshow.net with all those lovely Froment and Williams sets to drool over. Anyone know what happened to it?
billh

Post by billh »

Hi Jeff,

I’d love to see the site (the discussion bits, at least) restored and made read-only. That would address at least some of the bot and hacking issues. It’s a shame to lose that information and archival conversation, some of which isn’t duplicated elsewhere.

No offence intended to the Chiffers, but at times when this board was getting troll-ful, some of the most insightful conversations were happening over there, especially where pipemaking was concerned.

- B
anima wrote:I own Uilleannforum.com, about 2 months ago my webhost upgraded the version of PHP on it's servers, this was a non-passive upgrade that brought the site down. I'm not sure if I have the energy to go and do the forum upgrades again. It didn't get much traffic anymore and it is a constant battle against the effin' spambots. It's just me running the site and it looks like NPU at some point downloaded all the back issues of the Pipers Review I scanned and hosted back in the day (or maybe the Pipers Review folks did that) and now host them over there... so there's no need for that part of the site anymore. I'll bring it back if enough folks ask, but for now....

Truth is folks always just liked the conversation over here better.... vhs v betamax.... apple v windows I guess.

Jeff