Game changer in low D whistles - new video

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jimhanks
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Re: Game changer in low D whistles - new video

Post by jimhanks »

Watched the whole video. :o Very excited. :thumbsup: I'm still gonna save for the E but having the close spacing option there and the thumb hole option is even better than I planned for. With all those options, I'm gonna have to keep the piggy banked closed up awhile longer though. :shock:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

kkrell wrote:is there indeed a detectable difference in tone between the 2 whistles Grey demos in the video?
Yes. The second one (with chimney extenders) has a cleaner sound, but I wouldn't rush to attribute that to the extenders...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
robgandara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by robgandara »

Peter Duggan wrote:
kkrell wrote:is there indeed a detectable difference in tone between the 2 whistles Grey demos in the video?
Yes. The second one (with chimney extenders) has a cleaner sound, but I wouldn't rush to attribute that to the extenders...
The extenders do allow for these holes to be larger, larger holes give a clearer sound.
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

jimhanks wrote:Watched the whole video. :o Very excited. :thumbsup: I'm still gonna save for the E but having the close spacing option there and the thumb hole option is even better than I planned for. With all those options, I'm gonna have to keep the piggy banked closed up awhile longer though. :shock:
Thanks for watching the video, and I'm very glad it has helped in your planning!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

One thing playing dozens of different makes of Low D whistles has taught me is that I don't learn much from listening to somebody else play them.

I'm not curious enough to purchase one, but hopefully when festivals and sessions and such start up again I'll get a chance to try one.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

pancelticpiper wrote:One thing playing dozens of different makes of Low D whistles has taught me is that I don't learn much from listening to somebody else play them.

I'm not curious enough to purchase one, but hopefully when festivals and sessions and such start up again I'll get a chance to try one.
I understand what you mean.

However, you should be aware that Rob Gándara, the maker of Carbony Celtic Winds instruments, now has a 30-day return policy in place. So you could have a month to try out the whistle and to return it to him for a refund if you felt it was not right for you. Here's what Rob wrote in a recent email:

"I know many of you were hoping to see me this spring and summer. It is always nice to be able to try instruments before buying and the Carbony booth was the ideal place for making your decision. In light of this, we will be offering free shipping worldwide (promo code: FSHP) on all orders and initiating the 30-day return policy on the date the instrument arrives at your door instead of the purchase date. This provides you a no-risk opportunity to try the instrument as if you were at my booth at your local festival."
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

That's really cool! Thanks for the heads-up.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Anybody that wants to help me along with acquiring one of these, please like this FaceBook post:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9369420731

:P :poke:
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Cool idea!

I have a Walt sweet flute that has angled holes presumably for the same reason. This seems reLly well considered and effective
soundmatter
Tell us something.: I've been playing flute and whistle for over 25 years but lately I have been focusing on whistle more and being a part of this site might help.

Post by soundmatter »

I've not found any downsides to this whistle after playing it almost exclusively for a few weeks now. I haven't tried cleaning it except for the fipple but I would imagine a q-tip down the holes with chimneys should do that trick. I'm surprised by this low D Carbony whistle with close finger hole spacing. I wouldn't have purchased it before playing it because I would have been worried about the extra turbulence that the chimneys would introduce. But I've not found that this is really detectable. Having been an Irish flute player for nearly 30 years that was interrupted by a hand injury I never thought I would play in low D again. In my opinion this is an amazing whistle and very hard to put down.
best,
Steven