Want to try something new, $400-$700 range

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Want to try something new, $400-$700 range

Post by eedbjp »

Can anyone recommend a flute in the $400-$750 ? ranged . I've owned a lot of flutes, but I'm ready to try something new. I know I want a big sound so the Pratten set-up is the best choice for me. Looking for recommendations in the $400-$700 range, and trying to keep an open mind, so different materials would be ok, like Delrin, etc., and even if it didn't have a tuning slide that would be ok too. Since the last time I bought a flute, about 4 years ago, I know that more makers have been entering the flute market. Do you have any recommendations? Just for context, I have owned a Doug Tipple, Forbes, A Healy, and a Casey Burns blackwood regular flute, all in Pratten style. Thanks so much.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
bigsciota

Re: Want to try something new, $400-$700 range

Post by bigsciota »

They're out of your budget new, but I got my Lehart well within your budget used and it's wonderful. Technically a sort of "Rudall," but it's really his own design by this point and it's got a fairly powerful tone. If you're looking for something different from a D I've played an F of his and it was incredible; again it's out of your budget new but you may be able to find a used one.

If you're specifically looking for newer flutemakers I have heard good things about Damian Thompson, but haven't played or even been in the same room as one so I really can't say much about them. His 2 piece delrin flutes would be within your budget.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Try the Ellis "essential flute." Cylindrical flutes in various keys. Remarkable instruments, variable, versatile, in tune, powerful. I have a D flute and a Bb.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Maybe a Walt Sweet "Shannon" or a flute from Damian Thompson?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

For a non wood, check out Damian Thompson & M&E flutes.

I have one from each, a two piece DT in 'D' & a three piece in 'F' from M&E.

You might also take a look at the Tony Dixon three piece in 'D' - I got one pre used.

I find all of the above nice to play. :thumbsup:

P.S. I also got/have an aluminium three piece in 'D' pre used, made by Davy Angus, which I initially liked, but now find it a little too bright sounding for my personal taste.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

Seery, Delrin. Pratten, delrin, in your budget.
Hi4head
Tell us something.: Just recently I’ve begun playing a transverse flute. I’m wanting to learn more about simple system flutes and playing.

Post by Hi4head »

If you are interested in one of Geoffrey’s “essential flutes”, there is a nice looking one over on ebay right now for under your budget. I’ve never played his “essential” model, but I’ve heard good things about them.

Chris
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

millyard just made a few Mopane D flutes, awesome,
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve