Anyone know who this flute maker could be?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bcoopmando
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.
I am searching for an Irish flute to tryout and see if I like it!

Anyone know who this flute maker could be?

Post by Bcoopmando »

I am thinking of purchasing a flute for travel. It is a 2 piece wooden flute made in Ireland. The insignia is an S inside a heart! Would anyone possible know anything about this maker?
Thanks
Steve Bliven

Re: Anyone know who this flute maker could be?

Post by Steve Bliven »

The "S" within a heart is the logo of Ralph Sweet, Sweetheart Flutes, from Connecticut, USA. Ralph is sadly deceased but his flutes live on. They are generally well respected and were, for a bit, the standard starter flute in this part of the world.

There's an image of a Sweetheart flute here at the Whistle Shop, although they note that they no longer sell these instruments.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Bcoopmando
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.

Post by Bcoopmando »

Thanks for the info.
Would this be good as a second backup flute for travel?
Also what would be a fair price? The flute seems to be in good shape and probably hasn’t been used much! I believe it is the cherry flute.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Cherry sounds very good in Sweet's flutes, IMO. The flute is soaked in oil that makes it largely impervious to moisture. It's light and pretty strong. I think it would be a good flute for travel. I've had a number of them. The only thing tougher would be delrin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Bcoopmando wrote:Would this be good as a second backup flute for travel
Probably but, as you probably know, flutes are a personal preference.
Bcoopmando wrote:Also what would be a fair price?
A search on "Sweetheart flute" in the Sold and Old Forum would give you a sense of the asking price of similar flutes in the past.

Best wishes.

Steve
bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

Bcoopmando wrote:I am thinking of purchasing a flute for travel. It is a 2 piece wooden flute made in Ireland. The insignia is an S inside a heart! Would anyone possible know anything about this maker?
Thanks
Were Sweetheart flutes made in Ireland as well as the USA?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

No. My guess is that this is a Sweetheart flute mistakenly advertised or identified as made there.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Over the years, Ralph made flutes he called Irish or Baroque, made a range of fifes, whistles. My guess is that this got labeled "Irish" only as a way to separate it from some of the others. To my knowledge, there was never an Irish branch of what was primarily Ralph as the company.

Best wishes.

Steve
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Remember that any wooden flute will need some temperature control on your travels. You'd not be wise to leave a wooden flute by any maker in a hot car for hours while you walk around a town, for example.

People have traveled successfully with wooden flutes, but you need to pay attention to basics. Delrin however can sit in a car for weeks and be played under a waterfall if you are so inclined.

It is a balance.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

busterbill wrote:Delrin however can sit in a car for weeks...
Not so fast! Delrin is NOT impervious to heat!!! According to Dave Copley delrin starts to soften at about 180 degrees F (82C) and shouldn't be left in a car on a hot sunny day.
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

I spoke to the seller in Canada and purchased it. It was bought quite a number of years ago for a single music and art project but hardly used thereafter.
My personal preference lies in wooden instruments although I know Delrin flutes are also great. All your rapid feedback and thoughtful warnings are appreciated. I certainly won’t leave the instrument exposed to hot weather. As suggested in this thread I am convinced it was labelled “Irish” but actually fabricated by the late Ralph in the USA. Cheers and best to all of you. Be safe! I’ll chime in again once I receive the flute!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think you will find it suits your purposes. I use sweetheart flutes busking on the street. Tough critters.
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

When I take delivery of the flute what is the recommended treatment of it? I imagine and expect it hasn’t been oiled for quite sommmmmmeeeeetime!
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

I finally received the D keyless sweetheart flute. Snail mail speed up in Canada due to COVID.
The flute is extremely light compared to my Windward and it appears to have never been played. Seems new! The sound is very sweet and easier to play than the windward. I am only a beginner on this journey so this is no judgement as I really have no foundation. The holes are smaller and the flute is shorter. I think it was made by Ralph out of rosewood. The windward has a fuller more woody sound.
I have really been enjoying playing the flutes. I never imagined it would be so physically demanding on all my musculature, chest back muscles, arms, neck and brain!
Since I am not that familiar with Irish traditional music I decided to take up the Bodhran in order to learn and click into the different rhythmic patterns. I realized this is essential to playing the genre. I connected with a fine fellow in London for online lessons Ruairi is his name. I like his style and approach.