Flat C#, every other note seems good

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flat C#, every other note seems good

Post by geoff wooff »

Largely agreeing with the points made by Pancelticpiper. The figures quoted from the Dave Hergarty book I find rather pedantic and only usefull for the mathematicians. These figures rounded to the nearest Cent would be MORE that sufficient for our purposes.

The one major problem is that we want several notes to issue from that top front tone hole , C# and a C natural at the very least but hopefully several expressive variations of C natural. My approach on the old style flat sets , where the chanter tone holes are largely all of a similar size is to try to achieve C# at around 10-12cents flat of drone pitch and the double forked fingered C natural ( two middle fingers of the lower hand raised) to sit close to 29 cents flat.

Not only the size of the C# hole but also the size of the F# and E holes need to be taken into consideration as to how they affect the cross fingering pitch alteration. On the modern Concert chanters , where the size of the F# hole approaches the diameter of the bore at that point, it is probably only necessary to vent that hole to provide enough crossfingering to achieve a C natural... a little more venting is preferable on the old Flat chanters. Other fingerings will bring C natural to different tone heights making it a most expressive note.

As I have suggested in articles for An Piobaire and probably on this forum at some stage the 29 cent flat C natural equates to the position of the 7th harmonic of the bass drone note and is the one deviation from what might be a Just intonation scale. I prefer to think of the scale on these Pipes as being Harmonic, each chanter note making a sweet harmony to the drones. However, compromises need to be made for musical and artistic reasons and perfection is not always possible.
PeterF
Tell us something.: I started playing the pipes 15 years ago, at that time I started making reeds. I found almost everything I needed in the Dave Hegarty book.

Post by PeterF »

Thank you Geoff, That information was a great help. I had the chart with C natural at -31 but knew of the existence of the other one. Only that you posted I would have thought that Dave Hegarty's chart would be the one to follow. I've re-tuned my chanter because it wasn't quite right, was somewhere in the middle.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

PeterF wrote:Thank you Geoff, That information was a great help. I had the chart with C natural at -31 but knew of the existence of the other one. Only that you posted I would have thought that Dave Hegarty's chart would be the one to follow. I've re-tuned my chanter because it wasn't quite right, was somewhere in the middle.
I hope that wasn't C - 19!
PeterF
Tell us something.: I started playing the pipes 15 years ago, at that time I started making reeds. I found almost everything I needed in the Dave Hegarty book.

Post by PeterF »

@Driftwood, nice one!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I like to keep the Cnat on my chanter the same as on my regs ,so go for the -4 tuning. A very flat Cnat on the regs harmonize's well with the D, but not so with the other notes.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PeterF

Post by PeterF »

Rory, that's good news, I have another Chanter with C natural at 0, so will complete the full set. I can probably get the 3 c's down a bit.

thePhotopiper: If you are reading this, if you open the B hole with the C it will bring C# up at least 10 cent.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

PeterF wrote: if you open the B hole with the C it will bring C# up at least 10 cent.
Goes to show how different chanters work in different ways, if I do that on my chanter the c# goes down a little.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PeterF

Post by PeterF »

Rory, sure isn't that what makes the pipes so interesting. I'd love to know what causes it to act differently, the reed, the chanter, undercut holes, the weather. I'm sure with 5,000 pipers we can come up with the answer. I'm going to suggest the scrape, towards the tip of the V, back about 5mm, thicker = higher, both sides the same.