Martin Hayes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
busterbill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Martin Hayes

Post by busterbill »

I am not sure where exactly to post this, because it may be of interest to many of us.

Martin Hayes has started a series on YouTube. His first posting is "Learn a Tune By Playing Along" which is a great skill for us to learn. And the second post is a tune he calls "Patsy Geary's" which is a different Patsy Geary's than many of us know.

I think any ITM musician can enjoy this, whether your instrument be the flute, whistle, concertina. mandolin, banjo, box or whatever you play, a fiddle is not required. He will be posting a new tune every two weeks.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Martin Hayes

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

a different Patsy Geary's than many of us know
Breandán Breathnach named the tune 'The Horse Shoe' after John Kelly's shop in Capel Street after he collected it without a name from Kelly. It is widely known under that name since its inclusion in CRE1.

John Kelly's version, and more information on the the John Kelly Capel Street website here : Patsy Geary's. More on Geary elsewhere on the same site, and Kelly playing Geary's version of the Salamanca.
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Hayes really does that stately thing well while still being lively. I do love his commitment to slowing down, but feel vaguely guilty about emulating it. Like Frankie Gavin is going to whack me on the knuckles with his bow and tell me to feck off.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PB+J wrote:Hayes really does that stately thing well while still being lively. I do love his commitment to slowing down, but feel vaguely guilty about emulating it.
Let's say he didn't lick it off the stones :P

My brain hurts

busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Thanks everyone for the background on this tune!