Smallpipes on Ebay

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Smallpipes on Ebay

Post by daveboling »

There's a set of smallpipes in A, from an unknown maker currently on eVilBay here. Seller says "I had them commissioned especially by an Uilleann pipe/smallpiper maker who only makes by request, and more as a hobby for him." They are said to have been made of Glendalough Co. Wicklow sourced yew and wild boxwood, with an elder reed. The three drone reeds appear to be cane.

Anyone familiar with this set, and who the maker might be?

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Smallpipes on Ebay

Post by pancelticpiper »

No I have no information, it's an interesting set, and I really like the sound of those drones.

The same guy had another set on Ebay, it was a Gibson smallpipe with the original mainstock replaced with one that has a shutoff switch. Those aren't up any more, maybe he sold them.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I remember the name of John Rutzen who made flutes, Uilleann and smallpipes in I think Donegal.
I heard he retired. Maybe he moved to Wicklow.
Wild guess at best.

I can’t recall hearing of anyone else who made both small pipes and uilleann pipes in Ireland but I’m sure there would be a few.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

dunnp wrote:I remember the name of John Rutzen who made flutes, Uilleann and smallpipes in I think Donegal.
I heard he retired. Maybe he moved to Wicklow.
Sounds like a good guess, on Facebook a person that appears to be the same John Rutzen is listed as being retired and living in Buncrana.

(The FaceBook page doesn't seem to have much activity.)

On YouTube there are some videos of people playing John Rutzen Scottish smallpipes.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

I have a stand of blackwood Rutzen smallpipes in A. They don't look much like this, having imitation ivory soles to chanter and drones, almost in the highland style, though plainer. He studied with Hamish Moore, I believe. Mine are beautifully made, play strong and stable, and the reeds just never need attention.
If this is a Rutzen set, I'd recommend them.

Stay well, stay safe.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Some more interesting smallpipes, made of aluminium

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusual-4-Dron ... Sw0w5erZ3D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusual-4-Dron ... 000%7C7000

Any ideas as to maker?

Also the same seller has blackwood smallpipes.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Pancelticpiper.

I have only seen aluminium smallpipes once before, at Moniaive folk festival a few years back. The owner said they were made by a Scottish maker, but I cannot remember his name.

I bought the aluminium chanter (I was the only bidder) and contacted the seller with an offer on the drones and bag (I got the ones with the blue bag). They arrived next day.

From the size of the drones and the chanter, it looks like it is a D/C set - the drones can be stopped by rotating the end caps, the drones, excluding the smallest, have quite a bit of travel, so maybe there is scope to go to a lower pitch chanter as well.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps