Looking for a Low D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottie
antispam: No

Looking for a Low D whistle

Post by scottie »

Hello everyone. I am trying to get back into whistling and am thinking of trying another Low D. I had a couple. I think they were both Kerry whistles but that was about 20 years ago. I found they took a lot of air. I am thought he recently like in the last 5 yrs or so started making some Low D whistles that did not take as much air as before. If anyone knows please shed some light on this. I am looking into finding a Low D that I could play some of the Irish music I have always enjoyed and have been listening to again. Any recommendations would be appreciated. My budget is around $200 USD. Thanks for any info or help. Stay safe .
trill

Re: Looking for a Low D whistle

Post by trill »

scottie,

I'd like to suggest you try a Reyburn lowD.

The ones I've played (they were on tour) were the most air-efficient lowD's I've playe. I bought one.

Here are some of my prior postings:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105636&p=1194243&hi ... n#p1194243

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93321&p=1117267&hil ... r#p1117267

Next up, at lower cost, would be the Kelpie lowD by MK. I bought one used for under $100. Very nice voice, volume, + workmanship.

Good luck !
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Like Trill, I find the Reyburn low D (at least the current aluminum version) to be relatively air efficient. It has a lot of nice playing characteristics and a unique tone or timbre that I really like.

However, the Syn low D is also very air efficient. If that's a major factor, the Syn is worth consideration. I do find that you need to spend some time warming it up prior to playing or you will run into clogging problems.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, people here have used phrases like "taking more air" "air requirements" etc to mean two opposite things:

1) force of air (the resistance/impedance/backpressure encountered while playing)

2) volume of air (quantity of air that flows though the instrument while playing)

I call the second one "air efficiency" because you can have two whistles of the same loudness, one having half as much air passing through it while sustaining High B than another. (When I was testing a number of Low D whistles against each other I found that High B varied far more than lower notes, in air quantity requirements.)

The most air-efficient Low D I've tested was the Colin Goldie (medium blower) I play.

Second-most was the MK Low D.

I did test a very efficient Reyburn Low D but it's high notes were too stiff for my liking. Other Reyburns I tried had sweeter high notes but weren't as efficient. All the Reyburn Low Ds I've played had a wonderful unique tone that makes Reyburns very attractive.

The Dixon all-plastic conical-bore Low D I tested was efficient but the volume and tuning didn't allow me to consider it for professional use. It was the most ergonomic and easy-to-play Low D I've come across.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

The Dixon all-plastic conical-bore Low D I tested was efficient but the volume and tuning didn't allow me to consider it for professional use. It was the most ergonomic and easy-to-play Low D I've come across.
Gotta agree, I like mine, (& their flute), great starters, & keepers. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I have to defer to Richard (pancelticpiper) on the topic of air efficiency. I doubt that you will ever run into anyone who has played a wider variety of low whistles.

My Syn recommendation was based more around the budget estimate in the original post. Retail on a Syn low D is around $200 while a Reyburn is $300.

Richard, have you ever had the opportunity to play a Syn low D? Wonder where you might fit it into the spectrum of whistles you have used.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

No I haven't tried a Syn! My bad.

There are so many makers out there! I've played loads of makers, but there are probably just as many I've not tried.

Let me think, as best I can remember these are the Low D's I've played

Copeland
Sweetheart (wood)
Garvie (wood)
Goldie
Overton
Howard
Reyburn
Reviol
Burke
MK
Alba
Dixon (at least three different types)
Chieftain/Kerry (at least four different types)
Susato
Carbony
Shaw

I know I'm forgetting some.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Richard.

i am not sure you would like the Syn. It is very air efficient, but seems to be optimised for an easy second octave, at least mine is. It has a complex breathy tone, unlike my Burke, it is closer to my green MK.

For cheap and easy playing, my vote would go to the Dixon TB012D. Tuneable, conical bore and not taking a lot of air.

For not taking a lot of air my other recommendation would be a Swayne low D, but that would be way above scottie's price point.

I am not sure if he is still making them, Kenny McNichol of KM bagpipes made some really nice low D whistles, they would possibly be in your price range.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
scottie

Post by scottie »

trill wrote:scottie,

I'd like to suggest you try a Reyburn lowD.

The ones I've played (they were on tour) were the most air-efficient lowD's I've playe. I bought one.

Here are some of my prior postings:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105636&p=1194243&hi ... n#p1194243

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93321&p=1117267&hil ... r#p1117267

Next up, at lower cost, would be the Kelpie lowD by MK. I bought one used for under $100. Very nice voice, volume, + workmanship.

Good luck !
Thanks trill. I will check them out.
Scottie
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I have some of the newer Chieftain whistles (kerrywhistles). The V5 takes very little air and has an easy second octave. But my Thunderbird is also quite nice. I don't have the newest version however, which takes less air but I don't think mine takes too much air. More than the V5 however. One of the best sounding low Ds I have is the Qwistle. But it takes quite some air. It is also my loudest low D. But that sound is worth it. The Howard low D does also not take much air but not everybody likes the organ-pipe sound. (I do.) The MK Kelpie plays about the same as the V5, maybe minimal more air required.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

The Howard low D does also not take much air but not everybody likes the organ-pipe sound. (I do.)
Yep, I like my Howard too, almost as easy to play as my Tony Dixon one piece ABS. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Another vote for Reyburn low whistles. Fantastic whistles! Although, they are a bit out of your budget, new. I'm currently playing Reviol and really love it! Maurice Reviol is creating amazing low whistles--a great balance of tone, air requirements, finger hole placement, back-pressure, and beautiful to boot.
trill

Post by trill »

BKWeid,

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to add my vote for Reviol being a great whistle.

There was one on tour back in 2014. It was a great instrument !

Here are my notes from the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96713&p=1142793&hil ... l#p1142793

Yes, it's pricey. But, oh boy, what a whistle !

trill
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

The low D’s I currently own and play are an Optima, an Mk Pro and a Reyburn aluminum. All are fairly recent models. I just did an air efficiency test by seeing how many times I could play up and down a D scale. The Optima and Reyburn were exactly the same, and I consistently ran out of air a couple of notes sooner on the MK. The MK is efficient, just not as efficient as the other two. This is also my experience when playing tunes. The reyburn has the most air resistance, then the Optima, and the MK has noticeably less resistance than the other two. The MK is the loudest, followed by the Reyburn. All sound really nice, but I’d say the tone of the MK and Reyburn is a little more complex than the Optima. I do like the less complex tone of the Optima though. The MK has the best tone IMO, complex, focused and beautiful, with a bit of grit to it. The MK is the easiest to play and responds perfectly to finger articulations everywhere. The Reyburn and Optima are close though. The Optima never clogs for me, and needs just a quick warmup when it’s cold. The other two are fine if warmed up properly. Not clogging and lightweight is where the Optima is the best. The MK is the best overall if forced to pick. It has the loudest, strongest low end, both the low D and Low E notes are excellent. The Reyburn is good too, and this is where I feel they are just a little better than the Optima. The Reyburn is unique and very satisfying to play. I like how it has more resistance and can be pushed hard. I wouldn’t call the upper octave on it stiff, does that mean more resistance? I want to get a Goldie, one the the main reasons I’ve hesitated is I don’t know what type of blower to get. Tone is very important to me, efficiency and playability are too. I very slightly prefer the greater air resistance of the Reyburn to the more free flowing MK.
Last edited by bruce.b on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Most people I know prefer the soft blowing Goldies. I want one maybe this summer for my b'day but I think I'll have to visit Colin and try them before I pick one. It's only a 4 hr drive from where I live.