Whistling... from home

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
technowhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Whistling... from home

Post by technowhistle »

I hope everyone is staying safe whistling from home.

Has anyone used video conferencing apps with your friends around the world for a online session?

I'll bring some virtual drinks!

Cheers, stay safe and to good health from Sheffield.
TW
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Whistling... from home

Post by PB+J »

The latency will always be too bad to make that work. Every stage adds latency, and there are dozens of stages. I can hear and see latency in the online flute lessons I've done.

At least in the US we aren't close to being able to do real time music. Maybe in coutnries like S Korea, with a much newer IT backbone.
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Yeah, I've been a video-chatter for a long time because my brother and I are both geeky early-adopters and he's lived in Japan for decades. But latency even interferes with conversation, so music would be even worse. I attended a virtual happy-hour earlier this evening and even that was a mess of crossed conversations. But these systems are now extra overloaded too.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I don't know about Zoom, but Webex and Skype allow web conference participants to call in from their ground lines rather than using computer audio and internet. I haven't noticed a latency problem on phone connections. However, there would likely be issues with video synchronization if using telephone audio. Anyone tried to have a session on a telephone conference call?
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Tunborough wrote:I don't know about Zoom, but Webex and Skype allow web conference participants to call in from their ground lines rather than using computer audio and internet. I haven't noticed a latency problem on phone connections. However, there would likely be issues with video synchronization if using telephone audio. Anyone tried to have a session on a telephone conference call?
Not with a lot of people, but a church friend and I recently tried a collaboration... she was playing her piano, and had me on speakerphone singing, recording on her iPad.

It didn't turn out that well. I had trouble hearing her, as the piano kept cutting out (luckily she was following me rather than vice versa, or we would've had a problem), and in the recording, there're a lot of places where my voice cuts out, distorts, sounds off-key, wavers, etc.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Katharine wrote: It didn't turn out that well. I had trouble hearing her, as the piano kept cutting out (luckily she was following me rather than vice versa, or we would've had a problem), and in the recording, there're a lot of places where my voice cuts out, distorts, sounds off-key, wavers, etc.
Sounds like the real thing! :thumbsup: :o This is most sessions I go to! :party: :party: :party: Especially after a few drinks! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Cheers :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

technowhistle wrote:
Katharine wrote: It didn't turn out that well. I had trouble hearing her, as the piano kept cutting out (luckily she was following me rather than vice versa, or we would've had a problem), and in the recording, there're a lot of places where my voice cuts out, distorts, sounds off-key, wavers, etc.
Sounds like the real thing! :thumbsup: :o This is most sessions I go to! :party: :party: :party: Especially after a few drinks! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Cheers :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That might've been acceptable had we actually been having fun drinking, and if it hadn't been for church. :)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The bagpipe band I play in has been doing Zoom rehearsals.

They're "pads and chanters" as we say. (I'm the one with the red chanter.)

The Pipe Major is the only one who isn't muted. So each of us is playing a duet with him, in effect, because we don't hear the other pipers, we each just hear him. A dozen simultaneous duets, basically.

Since the purpose of a Pipe Corps rehearsal is for each piper to match the Pipe Major exactly, the Zoom works fine. For what we're doing there's no appreciable delay.

I suppose an Irish session could be done like that, each person playing along with the session leader simultaneously.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

pancelticpiper wrote:The Pipe Major is the only one who isn't muted. So each of us is playing a duet with him, in effect, because we don't hear the other pipers, we each just hear him. A dozen simultaneous duets, basically.
I presume the PM doesn't hear anyone but himself, so no one hears any of the duets but the individual players. It makes sense that any network delay is immaterial, since there's no feedback loop involved.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Tunborough wrote: I presume the PM doesn't hear anyone but himself, so no one hears any of the duets but the individual players. It makes sense that any network delay is immaterial, since there's no feedback loop involved.
Right, there's no loop, the PM hears only himself because the entire band is muted.

It's lonely for him! We can all hear every little thing he plays, he's under the microscope, he has to be spot-on every note.

He does have a metronome going so we all can hear him and a click track, it helps keep everyone exactly together.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

pancelticpiper wrote:I suppose an Irish session could be done like that, each person playing along with the session leader simultaneously.
Not an entire session but musicians playing together remotely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPzZlv ... 2u5XBDYZIA
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

ytliek wrote:Not an entire session but musicians playing together remotely:

Any idea what technology connected the players? It did look like they were hearing each other, with no appreciable delay.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Tunborough wrote:
ytliek wrote:Not an entire session but musicians playing together remotely:

Any idea what technology connected the players? It did look like they were hearing each other, with no appreciable delay.
The players live in separate towns in Connecticut. They each are music teachers in local schools. The video was produced using Audacity for the audio and wondershare filmora for video. I'm not involved with production just a fan so I don't know much about the technology. Hope everyone here enjoyed the video and get inspired to do their own productions to share with the world while the pandemic keeps us all sheltered in.

The Jolly Beggars are on Facebook if any detailed info is needed concerning the video technology.
https://www.facebook.com/thejollybeggars/