Beginner Technical transition B to the higher D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bcoopmando
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.
I am searching for an Irish flute to tryout and see if I like it!

Beginner Technical transition B to the higher D

Post by Bcoopmando »

I find the fingering transition from B to D difficult. It seems that I have trouble finding coverage of all the lower 3 holes after playing the B note and then having to play the higher D note. Any technical approach to making this easier would be helpful. Is this a common difficulty for a beginner?
jim stone

Re: Beginner Technical transition B to the higher D

Post by jim stone »

Yes, this sort of thing is common among newbies. Also you will have more such difficulties, odds are. First, the greatest virtue here is patience. Second, make the physical change from B to the second octave D very very slowly. Do it a number of times in a row. Third, practice practice practice. If you are practicing an hour a day, say, do just this for ten minutes. Will do the trick, it may take a couple of weeks.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

If you are playing the D vented, so going from XOO OOO to OXX XXX, maybe also practicing it unvented would help get the finger coordination sorted. The breath requirement would be different, but you will in any case need that for, say, B to the upper E.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It seems that I have trouble finding coverage of all the lower 3 holes after playing the B
It may be sensible to perhaps keep a finger of the lower hand down when playing B : xoooox for support and keeping the hand in position
My brain hurts

Bcoopmando
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.

Post by Bcoopmando »

Thanks for all your helpful responses. A couple of clarifications are needed.

David
I am not sure what you mean by vented vs. unvented. I am unfamiliar with those terms.
I am using this finger position as you wrote XOO OOO to OXX XXX.

Mr. Gumby
Will keeping my ring finger when playing the B xoooox create a long term bad habit and dependency using it as support? or is this a common approach to used to stabilize the flute?

I happen to have a "short pinky" and find it difficult to reach and use it to stabilize the flute. (as suggested in the basic flute holding posture.) Your suggestion to use the B xoooox will certainly help.

Thanks once again,
Barry
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I would concur with the advice to practice the transition slowly over and over and over. It will also give you an opportunity to work on your breathing, tone and lung capacity. It is a win win. Speed will come in its own time. You are now in the process of building muscle memory.

Anchoring your ring finger may or may not give you any more benefit than anchoring your pinky.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Mr. Gumby
Will keeping my ring finger when playing the B xoooox create a long term bad habit and dependency using it as support? or is this a common approach to used to stabilize the flute?
I'd say it's common enough. There's no harm in it.

I can probably find enough examples of very fine fluteplayers stabilising their flute that was but here are two examples :

My brain hurts

david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Bcoopmando wrote: David
I am not sure what you mean by vented vs. unvented. I am unfamiliar with those terms.
I am using this finger position as you wrote XOO OOO to OXX XXX.
By unvented I meant practice playing the D as XXX XXX. It may not sound quite as clear and you will need to be more careful with breath and embouchure to get the higher D rather than the lower one, but the finger coordination is easier. Then when when all six fingers go down on time switch back to just using the bottom five. Work on the breath and embouchure requirement won't be time wasted.
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

Got It now! Happy I found this friendly and welcoming site!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

If you want to "honk" the D -- the unvented fingering is better xxxxxx. Because you want the note to sound dirty and gritty, somewhere between first and second octave. You can look for videos from Conal O'Grada to know what that sounds like. Or better yet, buy his CD from the website. For a cleaner sound the vented oxxxxx is better. And also if you wanna play a cran on the D. It sounds more snappy and clean when vented.