Kerry Optima Low D whistles taking a poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottie
antispam: No

Kerry Optima Low D whistles taking a poll

Post by scottie »

Can I get some input from you guys and gals on the forum? I am just wondering from any of you that have played the Kerry Optima Low D if it is very breathy as a few people I have read stated. It seems to sound fine when Phil plays it but face it he is an awesome player. What do you think? I am highly considering ordering one. I am having a hard time deciding whether to order the Optima or the V5. I think the air requirements should not be much in difference. Thanks for any input.
trill

Re: Kerry Optima Low D whistles taking a poll

Post by trill »

Scottie,

In May 2014 a Kerry Optima went on tour. Many members here posted their reviews. 4 pages worth.

Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95717

Good luck !

trill
PB+J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have an optima low D and like it. I'm not playing whistle much anymore as I've switched to flute, but when I do pick up the low D whistle it's the Optima rather than my M&E.

The optima to me has two advantages.

First, it sounds more like a whistle, less like a flute or recorder. More "air" in the tone, less "smooth."
Second, it's very light and for me easy to hold

You might prefer the "rounder' tone of other whistles, and might not have trouble with the ergonomics of low whistles. I find the M&E low whistle very difficult and unpleasant to hold and play--I think it would only work for me if it had a clarinet style thumbrest. Not everyone has this problem. The Optima, being extremely light, is pretty easy to deal with.

The holes on the Optima are huge. My daughter, who is 15 and five feet tall, simply can't play it, because even with the piper's grip she finds it impossible to cover the holes.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes I was one of the people who tried and reviewed the tour Optima six years ago.

They might have changed the design since then, it wouldn't surprise me.

That tour Optima Low D had a sharp 2nd octave, presumably they've fixed that.

Other than that it was a sweet player.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

I love my Optima low D. I play it more than any other of my low D’s. It did take me a while to get used to the hole spacing, but once I did it was easy to play. It’s well in tune, has a great tone, and is responsive, with low air requirements. It’s also very lightweight and looks nice. If I had to pick something to criticize, perhaps the low D note could be louder, but lots of low D’s share that problem. It’s an excellent bargain at the price it sells for. It’s my all around favorite whistle. I haven’t played a Goldie low D though. I would say it’s not an airy sounding whistle. I love how it sounds, and I don’t like whistles with a lot of air noise in the tone. I had both the V5 and the Optima. I sold the V5 because I liked the tone of the Optima more, primarily because I thought it was more focused, and with less air in the tone.
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

have played the Optima and the MK Kelpie quite a bit. For me the Kelpie is a considerably better whistle. You can probably pick up a used one for about $100.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I've played the Optima, fun whistle, but it is the low end Kerry line whistle. Reviol, Goldie, Reyburn, MK and Burke are a step above, in my humble opinion. Although, you do pay for the higher quality characteristics and opinions do vary. I have found the Kerry Thunderbird to be a solid whistle.

There are quite a few reviews on YouTube and here on C&F of all these whistles. In the end, lots of great options, even more opinions--find one and spend time getting to know it well.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

BKWeid wrote: I've played the Optima, fun whistle...Reviol, Goldie, Reyburn, MK and Burke are a step above...
+1 :thumbsup:

(The caveat being if there have been improvements to the Optima since I tried the tour one.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
speaktree
Tell us something.: I'm looking to get some advice on different low whistles. I've been lurking on the forum for years, now I would like to ask a question or two myself.

Post by speaktree »

I own a MK Pro, Dixon and Kerry Optima in low D. Of these the Optima is my favourite and gets played the most by quite a margin.

Things I like about it are:

- Easy second octave
- Very low breath requirements
- Relatively quiet and plays really nicely when muted (with tack)
- Lightweight
- Shiny!

Things I don't like about it:

- Plastic fipple
- Tuning joint is quite simply made

There are some caveats to my opinion though, since its all a matter of taste. I feel like the whistle has a bit of a less traditional flutey sound (as in Boehm), which doesn't bother me as I play a wide variety of things, both trad and non-trad. It has huge toneholes as others have pointed out - I like this because I am 6'5" with huge hands and it makes it easier for me to play chromatically. I'm not a fan of the maker, based on some of his youtube videos I've seen comparing to the MK, but I really love this whistle!
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

speaktree wrote:I own a MK Pro, Dixon and Kerry Optima in low D. Of these the Optima is my favourite and gets played the most by quite a margin.

Things I like about it are:

- Easy second octave
- Very low breath requirements
- Relatively quiet and plays really nicely when muted (with tack)
- Lightweight
- Shiny!

Things I don't like about it:

- Plastic fipple
- Tuning joint is quite simply made

There are some caveats to my opinion though, since its all a matter of taste. I feel like the whistle has a bit of a less traditional flutey sound (as in Boehm), which doesn't bother me as I play a wide variety of things, both trad and non-trad. It has huge toneholes as others have pointed out - I like this because I am 6'5" with huge hands and it makes it easier for me to play chromatically. I'm not a fan of the maker, based on some of his youtube videos I've seen comparing to the MK, but I really love this whistle!

Interesting. I don’t feel it’s tone is flutey. To me it has a trad whistle tone, a low D version of it. I love the plastic headpiece, very comfortable, sleek and nice looking. Mine is the non tunable version. 49GBP for it is a steal, IMO. As I wrote above, the MK is a subtlety better whistle, but I play the Optima the most. It’s such an effortless low D to play. If I decide to keep just one low D it would probably be the Optima. I disagree that it’s not a professional whistle. I can’t find anything that it’s lacking. The turquoise head looks great, IMO.