'Shroom boat

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: 'Shroom boat

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Sometimes I wonder how you guys can tell your arses from a hole in the ground ... :wink:
There's a difference?
It's too early in my day for ontological philosophy.
Oh, I don't know. Sometimes the subject can be unbearably light.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Stratospheric, even. But usually by then I'm floating off to bed.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I was told the ´dry-land fish´ moniker was given to morels by some of the Plains Tribes. When they came upon a seasonal stream or creek, a dry ´wash´, in addition to searching for places to dig ad hoc wells for water, would search along the tree line that often demarked the dry creek bed. These riparian trees were typically cottonwoods, which often have morels growing in amongst their roots.
chas wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
busterbill wrote:And I sometimes wonder if the allure of the morel has much to do with the nature of the hunt. I've had a few and they were fine. But I remember being more excited about finding them than eating them. The search and the stalking of one's food all in the name of a morning's hike...
For me a sauteed morel tastes like fried walleye, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but it can be off-putting if what you're used to is button mushrooms. No doubt it's why it sometimes gets called "dry land fish".
I had a good friend who actually hired a bunch of guys to go through the woods in rural central Virginia gathering morels, which he sold to local restaurants. Every so often he'd get enough that he'd invite a bunch of us for dinner. That's when I fell in love with morels. The two dishes that really stood out for me were a pate and fettuccini alfredo. I can usually score a few in my yard -- they pop up in mulch. I just saute them in a little butter, and it's a minute of heaven for the wife and me.

They've never reminded me of fish.
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:I was told the ´dry-land fish´ moniker was given to morels by some of the Plains Tribes.
And I thought the name was an Appalachian thing.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

As Wanderer pointed out, Paul´s strain of block grown shii-take are quite fragrant, which leads to their other Chinese name ´fragrant mushroom´.香菰 xiang1gu1.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah! I see. What do they smell like?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

It´s hard to describe, and unfortunately my international keyboard doesn´t yet have the ´smell-writer´ extension.:D A kind of dark, funky, savoury smell. If you get the dried ones in your local Asian grocery and toss them into boiling water you can get the sense (scents :D ) of it.

:D Bob :D

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I suppose by now it's eminently clear that I haven't yet had shiitake mushrooms in my kitchen. Yes, I live under a rock.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A word of caution: Get ´em fresh at your local organic farmers market. Some of the dried ones out of SE Asia are grown with some wicked pesticides. :o ´Course, about the tiny mushroom maggots you find in your wild found ´shrooms, my Mushroom Guru used to say: At least you know what they´ve been eating. :lol:

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Excellent points all. :)
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

an seanduine wrote:It´s hard to describe, and unfortunately my international keyboard doesn´t yet have the ´smell-writer´ extension.:D A kind of dark, funky, savoury smell. If you get the dried ones in your local Asian grocery and toss them into boiling water you can get the sense (scents :D ) of it.

:D Bob :D
Yup, funky and savory, for sure. I also detected an astringent characteristic..almost like garlic or shallot.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

One of my absolute favorite Thai dishes is a ´Black Mushroom Stew´ http://www.realthairecipes.com/glossary ... mushrooms/
My friends from Chengdu have a luscious SiChuan take on this as well.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Fresh shiitakes are another of life's pleasures. To me they have a spicy, almost horseradish-like, taste. The texture is also delicate, so for people who are turned off by the texture of button mushrooms, they may be palatable.

I had lobster mushrooms once, again courtesy of my mushroom-gathering friend. Way cool.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:Fresh shiitakes are another of life's pleasures. To me they have a spicy, almost horseradish-like, taste.
Damn. I love horseradish. Now I absolutely have to check it out.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

There´s a wider taste range for shiitakes than you might expect. In Japan they grade them into four classes, with the ´Donko´ at the top. But actually this has more to do with appearance than flavor. Once you go to mainland Asia it is more like the Wild West. In the steamier jungle parts of China and SE Asia, you get a wider variety, some even having slight morphological anomalies. My guru was convinced there are Lentinula Edodes (Shiitake) lurking out in the bush to widen the field further.
Chas, I´ve never yet had the pleasure of the Lobster ´Shrooms, but I had a small secret patch that reliably produced a few
Russula Xerampalina--the ´Shrimp Russula´. One of the only mushrooms that I found ´crunchy´. I liked them well enough, but She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, who was also the book-keeper, said they had to go to the chefs. . . :cry:

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi