My Timothy J. Potter whistle arrived yesterday!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alaskamike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

My Timothy J. Potter whistle arrived yesterday!

Post by Alaskamike »

So I ordered a Potter whistle, based on reviews here on C&F, and I am very happy with my purchase. I ordered it Thursday evening and it arrived on Monday. It looks like most brass whistles with a plastic head, maybe just a little more yellow in tone than my Feadog. I like the company logo sticker - it doesn't look like a cheap paper sticker like on some other brass whistles. The mouthpiece is squared rather than rounded, but I didn't notice it when playing.

It takes very little air to play, and jumping registers is easy yet predictable. The tone is nice and clear with just a little chiff at the beginning of a note. Since it takes only a little air, it also seems very quiet to my ear. I've been using my Parks Walkabout with the tone ring about 70% closed to keep the volume down, but that requires more air to play when the window is reduced. This whistle is just a little louder than the Walkabout, but again the air requirements are much less. Also, I don't find the second octave to be any louder than the lower, which again makes it a good whistle for a full house full of non-whistle enthusiasts.

All-in-all, I really like this whistle, and I think it will be my go to for at least the near term.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: My Timothy J. Potter whistle arrived yesterday!

Post by Sedi »

Thanks for your short review! A Potter-whistle has been on my ebay watch list for a long time. Never pulled the trigger so far. There are a few makers out there who don't seem to get the attention they deserve, like Gary Humphrey, Potter, Parks, for instance.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

just a little more yellow in tone than my Feadog. I like the company logo sticker - it doesn't look like a cheap paper sticker like on some other brass whistles.
I find them perhaps less colourful, some days I think it' s a dull grey. But on other days I don't mind and it does do a job. It's not a whistle you'd take out to play but it's great for quietly learning tunes that play on the computer. Mine is the only whistle with a paper-like sticker I have ever come across and the sticker wanted to fall off ever since I received it so if you like it, cover it with something protective that will keep it on, because it won't last.

My brain hurts

Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
so if you like it, cover it with something protective
Thanks for that. It looks metallic, but I guess that's just foil on the sticker. I'll keep my eye on it!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I've enjoyed my Potter whistle since Timothy began making them a few years ago. I also gift them to children around here because of the low price.
Alaskamike

Post by Alaskamike »

That's a great idea to use them as starter whistles! The upper octave is easy to reach (I felt like I was playing the trumpet while trying to hit high notes with some of my other whistles), and the low air requirement teaches good breath control.