Coda CDC whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Coda CDC whistle?

Post by keithsandra »

Anyone tried the revolutionary, fully chromatic, all sharps and flats, Coda CDC palm size whistle?

Best wishes, Keith.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Coda CDC whistle?

Post by Nanohedron »

That's Coda EDC. And nope, not yet.

https://codaedc.com/
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Yep. I have one. It's a double-chamber ocarina but one chamber is inside the other so you can use the same fingering for 1st and 2nd octave and there is a slight overlap of a few notes. Like with all ocarinas, I have the problem that the sound pressure is too high for my delicate ears but the idea is quite nice. I also have the older models AKA mountain ocarinas in C and G.
In the end I do prefer my whistles and flutes however but for playing chromatically an ocarina is easier to play and the chromatic fingerings are also easier than on a recorder. A problem I have when switching back and forth is that the fingering is different from a whistle.
Here is a clip I recorded when I got it new.
https://youtu.be/w7q0EcC_pDo
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Well! I never guessed it was a modern ocarina. Pity about the distinctive ocarina sound and fingering compllcations.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Keith.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

It's still a nice little instrument but I prefer overblowing for an octave jump instead of "chamber switching". I think they are not marketing it as an ocarina to get rid of all the "Zelda"-associations. The sound is not as pure as on other ocarinas. I think they tried to give it a "whistle-like" sound.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I've heard some nice samples on it but its tone, and because it doesn't seem an easy 'pick up and play' instrument compared to the whistle, people might be put off buying it despite it being fully chromatic and delivers sharps and flats ...

Best wishes

Keith,
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

The diatonic fingerings look the same as a whistle - the chromatic fingerings look less intuitive than a whistle, but probably doable. Considering that the target audience for the Coda EDC is folks who want to have something to have in the pocket, would it make a good substitute for a whistle? Every time I go out with a whistle in my coat pocket I think it looks like I'm playing a Harry Potter character or something! Also, how loud is it? I prefer my whistles on the quiet side (my family prefers them on the silent side!).
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For a pocket whistle there are the ones that come apart in the middle, the brass tube has a joint.

I can't remember the name but I think they're made in Ireland and have a green plastic top.

The one I have doesn't play very well so I switched the top to a Generation top.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

I have a Parks Walkabout, which breaks down for travel and sounds great, but this thing looks like something I could toss in my backpack without worrying that it would be crushed.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I can't remember the name but I think they're made in Ireland and have a green plastic top.

The Clare whistle comes as a two part.

You have a choice of colour these days but you may just want to stick an altogether different head on them.

My brain hurts

keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Isn't there a brass whistle that telescopes into itself and pops into a top pocket of a jacket (or has it gone the way of the 'jacket') ?

Best wishes,

Keith.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

keithsandra wrote:Isn't there a brass whistle that telescopes into itself and pops into a top pocket of a jacket (or has it gone the way of the 'jacket') ?
Mack Hoover used to make a model like that but I believe he discontinued it. There was another one whose name I can't recall (Laughing something...).

David O'Brien also makes a three-part whistle (The Rover) out of wood or delrin that fits in a pocket case.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:
keithsandra wrote:Isn't there a brass whistle that telescopes into itself and pops into a top pocket of a jacket (or has it gone the way of the 'jacket') ?
There was ... one whose name I can't recall (Laughing something...).
Laughing Whistles, I expect:

http://nherbison.tripod.com/index_old.html
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Since the question of fingering came up. It is different from a whistle because it is all moved down one hole. The job of the ring finger on a whistle is done by the pinky on an ocarina. So you'd have to re-learn each tune. That is basically what kept me from playing it more, even though I think the idea is genius. And one more "issue". It is a two-chamber ocarina, so you have two windways and you need to switch. That can be a problem on fast tunes. That being said, for a chromatic, pocket-sized instrument it is hard to beat, especially considering the range. I mean, there are smaller ocarinas out there that you can wear as a pendant but they have less range (one octave and a third).
Portable whistles are also made by TWZ.
https://www.tinwhistle.de/tin-whistles/ ... e-in-d.php
I have all of their own models (the ones they really make completely in-house) -- the "pure brass", the "Al Jo" and the "XL1" (their session model) and they are all great. I especially love the "Al Jo" made from nickel silver. And the "pure brass" sounds a bit like a Clarke original but is much more air-efficient. So that might be another possibility. It is rather quiet though.
But, like already mentioned, I think the "Coda" is pretty cool. For me it was too different from a whistle though. It is a different instrument. As different from a whistle as a recorder is.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have the Coda EDC as well as the older Mountain Ocarinas and some other two chamber ocs. They're definitely outdoor instruments as they can be quite loud. The EDC has a muting option for quiet practicing, much like blowing over the fipple.

A maker in the UK, Pure Ocarinas, makes D and G tuned single and double octave ceramic ocarinas for use in Irish music. I think he may be getting out of the business so if that is of interest to you, move quickly.

I have and love Laughing Whistles from Noah Herbison and may get one of the O'Brien telescoping soon, I only recently heard of them.