Bravo Maurice Reviol Low F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BKWeid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Bravo Maurice Reviol Low F

Post by BKWeid »

I wanted to take a minute to praise my Reviol Low F whistle. It's taken me a few weeks to settle in with this whistle, but, wow, what a great player. On the standard points of review I'd say: the volume is loud but not overly so, breath requirement is quite manageable, it does have a fair amount of back pressure, the intonation is very good with a standard 0XX 000 for the "c nat" that is spot on. Finger spacing is similar to my other whistles from top makers--nothing out of the norm. The craftsmanship is top notch. As someone pointed out on this board, you can see the small hammer marks from when Maurice formed the beak by hand! Really nice detail from hand crafted work.

The more I've played this whistle and now that I've mastered the octave jump, breath pressure and such, I've really come to enjoy the wonderful tone. I find it very appealing there is breathiness,"chiff" , and wonderful character. It has unique tone quality and expressiveness that is hard to describe--very much whistle like and not so much flute like in tone. It can be pushed to loudness and a firm presence or played softly with a more warm and round tone. I find that I'm not playing any other low whistles and I've ordered a Low D to add to my collection. Maurice produces a fantastic whistle.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Re: Bravo Maurice Reviol Low F

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Agreed! I put his whistles up there with Goldie, MK, and Burke for several keys. I have a full set of Reviols (partly due to a missed order and Maurice's generosity), so that's an alto head and a tenor head with A, G, F, E (alto) bodies and Eb, D, Db, C (tenor) bodies. In my opinion, the Eb is phenomenal (it's the whistle I tried in a shop in Ireland that convinced me to place an order), and I was just rediscovering the low D yesterday. The C is a bit too narrow for my taste, but I know a guy who really enjoys his. The A and G are powerful, wide bore whistles, with a wonderfully rich tone. I'm hoping to get him to send me a second alto head and maybe Ab and F# bodies, though he said he'd have to figure out the calculations for them.

The only possible drawback is in his use of only two tubing diameters for the whole range, meaning that each key plays differently, and some are pushing the limits of the bore size (like the A, E, and C). However, that can also be a positive, since the lack of uniformity makes for a more interesting lineup. For me, it yielded an awesome A that's unlike any other I've played, since the bore size for that key is typically much, much narrower. The bore size on the G is also large, relative to the average. It's about the same as the Chieftain Thunderbird G, which is another nice low G with a really full sound.
Nathaniel James Dowell
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Angelicbeaver, I really enjoyed your youtube reviews. Thank you for posting those.

I have a Reviol Low D coming my way and I'll likely try some of the other keys, likely a G at some point. I'm blown away by the wonderful character of the Low F.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i was pondering a Carbony low F, they seems nice indeed
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Mangopit
Tell us something.: I am a whistle player, hoping to learn to play the flute I recently bought. Regular session player, and currently learning Josefin’s Waltz!

Post by Mangopit »

Did you buy the Carbony F, and what did you think?
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

never did just pondered, but it is still a ponder
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
BKWeid

Post by BKWeid »

Well, since this thread came up again...

I'm STILL loving my Reviol Low F!!!

Some whistles have playability and tone characteristic that draw you in, as a player. When I'm reaching for a whistle, it tends to be my Reviol Low F. :thumbsup: