New Tunes for the Lock In

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: New Tunes for the Lock In

Post by pancelticpiper »

To me The Green Mountain is a great fluteplayer's tune, propelled by rolls and plenty of offbeat D's to honk on :thumbsup:
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

The "honking Ds" are the most fun in that tune :D .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't know, the tune is widely popular, whistles, pipes, fiddles and concertinas, all non honking, seem to fancy the tune as much as fluteplayers do. The widely diverse versions of the tune are are good indicator of it's popularity too.

Anyway, was just listening to one Gary Hastings calls 'Lannigan's Other Ball' , I may have a go at that one today. See if it sticks :D
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

In fact I could find more versions on instruments other than flute. But still -- it is much fun to play on the flute :wink: . And "honking" is fun on any tune. But that is just me. Just listening to Conal O'Grada a lot since Richard recommended him to me.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Sedi wrote:In fact I could find more versions on instruments other than flute. But still -- it is much fun to play on the flute :wink: . And "honking" is fun on any tune. But that is just me. Just listening to Conal O'Grada a lot since Richard recommended him to me.

O Grada's honking on his version of the green mountain is off the charts
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I don't know, the tune is widely popular, whistles, pipes, fiddles and concertinas, all non honking, seem to fancy the tune as much as fluteplayers do. The widely diverse versions of the tune are are good indicator of it's popularity too.

Anyway, was just listening to one Gary Hastings calls 'Lannigan's Other Ball' , I may have a go at that one today. See if it sticks :D
Widely popular is still great for me. We have an older crew that run a monthly session here (on hold) and I think the leader is maybe just bored with all the hits, understandably. So he comes up with all these obscure tunes that are hard to research. cheeky guy. Reminds me a bit of you. haha

I've got Sligo Maid sounding alright so maybe Green Mtn will be a good follow up. Guess I'll just choose a version at random.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Try this one?
That guy is a shredding box player!! Any chance you know what similar sheet music would go with that? I can't learn by ear at this stage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That guy is a shredding box player!!
Andrew is alright :P

This should be a fair approximation of the average version:

T: The Green Mountain
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Dmaj
B|AF~F2 AFEF|DF~F2 ABde|f2df efdB|Adfd efdB|
AF~F2 ~E2 FE|DF~F2 ABde|f2df efdB|AFEF D3:|
e|faaf bfaf|defd e2de|~f2 df efdB|Adfd efde|
faaf bfaf|defd e2de|f2df efdB|AFEF D3:|
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I had sort of expected this thread would become an exchange of ideas for new tunes but it has gone very quiet.

Meanwhile I continue to hoover up tunes, here's one I picked up yesterday, from a lovely flute and fiddle duet of Marie and Tim McHugh. There are plenty of different versions of O'Sullivan's March, many in G, this one is different and, I think, a quite nice, handy little tune.

My brain hurts

busterbill

Post by busterbill »

PB+J wrote:
Sedi wrote:In fact I could find more versions on instruments other than flute. But still -- it is much fun to play on the flute :wink: . And "honking" is fun on any tune. But that is just me. Just listening to Conal O'Grada a lot since Richard recommended him to me.

O Grada's honking on his version of the green mountain is off the charts
benhall.1 wrote:I've kind of been put off playing altogether. It's as if it doesn't really matter how good I am if I can't play with people. But I'm going to try to pull myself together and brush up on some of those difficult things.

I have to prioritise, so I'll be playing fiddle primarily, but flute and whistle once I start adding time in my day to my musical activities.

I just started learning this set of Conal O'Grada's playing The Green Mountain and Vincent Broderick's The Rookery.

The set of dots that comes closest to his playing The Green Mountain in my mind is Norbeck's using the standard A part and the one he's noted as a variation for the B, if my memory serves. If you are unfamiliar with Norbeck's I highly recommend a google search. As much as I love TheSession.org, sorting through the various submissions is sometimes too much.

Now, if you really want an adventure you can Skype lessons with the man himself, there's a post a few down from here with his contact info! :)

But I, like some others on this site, have become distracted with the current virus situation and have been playing less. Kudos to those who can take advantage of this time to play. I keep reminding myself that music is supposed to alter my brain chemistry in positive ways, so my withdrawel is odd. I think I have played less in the past 2 months than I have at any time in the past 30 years.

Though I have been reminding myself that the flute and whistle are good workouts for lung health. At my age, I am assuming sessions will be off limits until the vaccine comes out whenever that is.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I am playing more than usual. But for me (knock on wood) nothing has changed much so far. I work from home (my wife, too) and so far, we still got work. Before all that I left the house maybe every 3 days. Now just once a week. Not that much of a change.
After "Green mountain", I tried my best at "City of Savannah" on my flute. Lovely tune. Next I wanna learn the first tune here -- played by Vinnie Kilduff (one of my favourite players).
https://youtu.be/X17HLvE7MWY
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Rather than "new tunes" I'm daily plugging away at the old ones, the common session tunes that I've either forgot (not having played them for 30 years) or never learned.

I'm doing more Irish trad playing than I've done for ages, just me in the back room and the mellowest whistle I have, my home-made Mezzo A. (Mellowness required because my wife is working from home during the crisis.)

Currently I'm running through 30 or so reels daily, getting them up to speed.

The settings I was provided are uneven. Some fall nicely under my flute/pipes/whistle fingers, others bear the stamp of being from other instruments or even other traditions and require fluterising.

When I was doing a lot of teaching that was the aspect of playing flute/whistle that was the most unknown and biggest challenge to the students: the fact that the received settings they were trying to play were unsuited to flute/whistle. I would devote time getting them to recognise what a flute-friendly setting felt like to play, how nicely it felt under the fingers and how well it flowed, and give them the permission and validation to alter received settings to suit the flute (or whistle).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

[quote="Mr.Gumby"]I had sort of expected this thread would become an exchange of ideas for new tunes but it has gone very quiet.

I also thought that it would snowball. Maybe others like myself are keeping the computer shut since it only seems to exude bad news these days. I just jotted down the Green Mtn notes that you provided yesterday. Hoping to give it a preliminary whirl this morning over coffee in the shop.

As far as playing goes, I have Sligo Maid sounding pretty nice and almost to speed and I've started Cooley's reel to play along with it and Wise maid as a trio.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Try Sligo Maid with George White's Favourite :P

[fixed typo]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts