Pheasant feathers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: Pheasant feathers

Post by cavefish »

i bought a couple turkey feathers just to try it out , they look nice too, just to add a little spice :D to life
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

I tried but couldn't catch 'en.

Obviously I can't run as fast as I used to.

No chance to swipe one out of a Morris dancer's hat at the moment either. :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mendipman wrote:I tried but couldn't catch 'en.
Have you ever seen a wild turkey run? With their long legs, they're amazingly fast! I wouldn't try to catch one without armor, though, especially a male; it'd do its best to kill me.
mendipman wrote:No chance to swipe one out of a Morris dancer's hat at the moment either. :lol:
Arguably one of the upsides to the pandemic. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

mendipman wrote:I tried but couldn't catch 'en.
Have you ever seen a wild turkey run? With their long legs, they're amazingly fast! I wouldn't try to catch one without armor, though, especially a male; it'd do its best to kill me.
mendipman wrote:
An extended family member had a working ranch in Idaho. One family tradition was to get a tom turkey which would free range in the turn of the century farm yard of the former stagecoach stop farmhouse. One year the tom was particularly aggressive. If you got out of the car to go to the house it would chase you. Though it recognized and feared both Colleen and Alva McConnell, who were in their 70s at the time, it would basically dive bomb anyone else.

I remember sitting in my 64 Chevy Impala honking the horn so one of them could run interference. They fondly called it their attack turkey. That was way back in the 1970s.

On a flute related note I discovered in the attic guest quarters an old flageolet which I played off and on during my visit. This was a decade before I was a whistler, but I from my grade school clarinet and fluting enjoyed noodling with it very much.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

there actually very pleasant to watch , was camping years back and saw a flock of them cruising by early morn , ,, my friend had a pet one like a dog, its hard to say if i would eat one if i had one as a pet, --------Good thing i dont have one as a pet :D
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

well i was bored so i made a turkey feather swab for those "just to get the beads temporarily out of the barrel "days ,
while leaving it out for the day :D it works alright, only for a quick swab, nothing gets the tenons better than a take apart swab job

Last edited by cavefish on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Nanohedron wrote:Someone once told me that since oboists use a peacock tail feather (I have no idea how true that is), I should too. Way too precious for me...

I've had a number of peacock feather dusters. They use tailfeathers, but not the highest quality colorful kind. The latest one I got has an aluminum telescoping handle so it can reach the light fixtures and ceiling fan blades. Someone had put in the trash. It was sitting in a bin last winter during a snowstorm at a bus stop. I was waiting to get picked up by my son for the "tail" end of my convoluted trip home from a late night session. He had a good laugh when I walked up in the dark looking like something from a 2 bit production of Lord of the Rings-- the budget version. Peacock feather dusters are amazing. You can dust with these things without knocking stuff over.