River Reed Tin Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dangme55
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am just beginning to explore my Celtic heritage and I am developing an interest in piping. I am looking for a manner of Celtic lore and specifically information on various pipes, instruction and other tips and techniques.

River Reed Tin Whistle

Post by dangme55 »

Hi Everyone,

A year or so ago I bought a whistle from a guy in Florida who hand makes them from river reed. I want another one but I will be darned if I can find him with Google search.

I know he lives in Florida and usually travels the games circuit but as we all know that is pretty much cancelled this year.

Any help much appreciated.

Jim
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: River Reed Tin Whistle

Post by Nanohedron »

Sammy Tedder? He's all I could find so far, but his website only shows in a rough way how to make them; from what I can see, all he's selling is his recordings.

http://www.sammytedder.com/rvrcane1.htm
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Hawk Hurst?
https://www.hawkhurstflutes.com/flute-sales.html

I have a "diatonic" from him though it doesn't really play like a whistle to me.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

jimhanks wrote:Hawk Hurst?
https://www.hawkhurstflutes.com/flute-sales.html

I have a "diatonic" from him though it doesn't really play like a whistle to me.
These are patterned after Native American flutes. Even the diatonic versions (as opposed to the pentonic) will play very differently than a tin whistle. By their nature, they are pretty much confined to a single octave/register. But they can be lovely in their own right.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Steve Bliven wrote: By their nature, they are pretty much confined to a single octave/register. But they can be lovely in their own right.
Well, yes and no. It is wider bore than whistle so won't go a full two octaves, but goes much higher than a standard NAF.