Permission to come aboard?!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Permission to come aboard?!

Post by fatmac »

Squeeky Elf wrote:I don't think anyone here has anything against a proper Rogering.
Think again! :o

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... q=Rogering
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Gee, thanks. I was trying to fly that one in under the radar. Now you’ve gone and corrupted the youths.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
Nutmegger1957
Tell us something.: I’ve been a musician all my life. My voice is an instrument and I have played many other types of instruments as well. At 63 years of age I decided to take up the Flute. I have a 10 year goal of playing on the stage at the Carnegie Hall. My teacher tells me I’m doing quite well for only six months in, but I also want to get other peoples opinions and helps. That’s why I’m here

Post by Nutmegger1957 »

fatmac wrote:
Squeeky Elf wrote:I don't think anyone here has anything against a proper Rogering.
Think again! :o

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... q=Rogering
Well clearly there are differences between the way things are discussed in other countries and the way they are discussed here in the States. My apologies for the reference which was not intended with the word “Roger.”

Moving on…
I wish I had started learning the Flute when I was young!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nutmegger1957 wrote:Well clearly there are differences between the way things are discussed in other countries and the way they are discussed here in the States. My apologies for the reference which was not intended with the word “Roger.”
Aw, geez - now I have to get all serious.

No, no offence taken. None at all. What I said earlier was intended as humor (that's why I put in the winky smileys), but I will point out that it was egged on by the fact that you had put "Roger" in quotes, which in this case made room for just enough of a touch of doubt, even though the average - and reasonable - reader would assume you actually meant nothing extra by it. Me being me, I might have posted what I did anyway, quotemarks or no, because I like banter and a bit of ribbing, but I see the joke was perhaps premature for a newbie. My apologies.

This is a site that gets a lot of cultural and linguistic bleed from the two primary sources of its membership: New World English speakers, and those from the British Isles and Ireland (in a broader scope, you'll often hear "Left Pond" and "Right Pond", "Pond" being the Atlantic). Consequently we'll get exposed to each other's idioms and cultural expectations, and sometimes misunderstandings happen when we encounter something new to us. Even after many years in harness, Ben and I (he's the other mod and a Right Ponder, whereas I'm a Lefty) still have to translate things for each other in our personal discussions from time to time. It's not often the case for most C&F members, but sometimes it can hit you out of the blue. I've learned more Right Pond English here than I ever could have elsewhere; for example, get in a discussion with the British over the word "pants", and you can practically hear them snickering through the monitor. These things can be a revelation sometimes.

"Roger" as a verb, however, was a bit of a different case - British in origin, but long understood by most Yanks and even used in our own speech, and as such I went with that assumption. It's not that you have to walk on eggshells around here, but occasionally wires get crossed, and sometimes that leads to humor, so you want to be prepared for that so you can play along, or at least be on the same page. :)
Squeeky Elf wrote:Gee, thanks. I was trying to fly that one in under the radar. Now you’ve gone and corrupted the youths.
That's what I'm talking about. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Personally, no offense taken. 8)

Just thought I ought to point it out, as this is a family forum too. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

first you need to get some smoking lamp oil, also do your time on the mail watch at the forecastle , make sure your gaff is secured, if you lose the mail ,you going in the sea, scurvy dog
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve