All in my head ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

All in my head ?

Post by rorybbellows »

For years when putting a reed into my chanter I would always have the reed so it was at right angles to the holes ,but the other day for some reason I put the reed in so its inline with the holes and I'd swear there is an slight improvement in the tone and ease of hard D. Is this possible or am I just imagining it ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: All in my head ?

Post by ausdag »

Perhaps; perhaps not, but you've probably now got 3000 pipers all over the world twisting their reed around 90 degrees just to try it out for themselves :-)
Ok maybe only the 15 or so C&F members who still follow this forum...
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
m4malious
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by m4malious »

In highland piping, I've long heard the advice was always have the reed blade plane at 90 degrees to the bore line of the finger holes.
M
thePhotopiper
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Post by thePhotopiper »

m4malious wrote:In highland piping, I've long heard the advice was always have the reed blade plane at 90 degrees to the bore line of the finger holes.
M
Ya know, I've never heard that, but I've never seen it any other way. I wonder if it's also because of the way we test the reed in the chanter with our mouths. Seems... sacrilegious to blow on the reed with it sideways.

Ugh... Now I can't unthink that.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

m4malious wrote:In highland piping, I've long heard the advice was always have the reed blade plane at 90 degrees to the bore line of the finger holes.
M
Myself and all the Highland pipers I've seen have the reed oriented the same as oboe and bassoon players do, so you don't stab your lip when you go to mouth-blow your chanter.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Waves have physical shapes. Hard D can also be affected by changing the orientation of a rush in the bell, shape of the lips, symmetry (or lack thereof). Not surprised at all.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.