Very basic editing of lesson and session recordings

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
JackJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Very basic editing of lesson and session recordings

Post by JackJ »

I recently purchased a Zoom H1N recorder for capturing lessons and some session tunes. Previously in lessons, I'd try to record specific segments with my phone, but it was distracting, and I'd sometimes miss capturing things my teacher was demonstrating that would be really helpful to refer back to. So for now I want to record the whole 1 hour lesson, and then later edit it down to the useful elements.

Having done the first recording yesterday, I now have a 1 gig WAV file representing close to 60 minutes. I'm looking for an easy tool to chop that into multiple files representing different parts of the lesson. And later, the same tool would be used to capture/edit different tunes recorded in a session. Best would be a mechanism that I can use on my Chromebook, and I guess that means a Web based tool, with the file residing in my Google drive. Or maybe there's some Google Play Store app for this?

I also have a Macbook I could use, but it's not as easy for me to access. I'm pretty sure that on the Mac I could use Garage Band or Audacity for this, or get a copy of Logic Pro. But I'm looking for something really simple, that just lets me playback the file, mark where I want to cut it, and then save the cut segments as new files or delete them. All in the Cloud, if that's practical with large files. (I could also create these as much smaller, lower quality MP3 files if that makes things easier in the future.)

Any suggestions?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Very basic editing of lesson and session recordings

Post by plunk111 »

I use Audacity for splitting into individual tracks - works great! You can then do equalizing, etc, fairly easily... Not sure why you find this difficult.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

HaHa. I still have a boxes of cassette tapes and later Mini Discs I used for the same purpose. I currently use a app called AVR pro on my Iphone. It lets you slow down or speed up bits and since it has a soundcloud type graphic you can guess where you are. But I have yet to figure out how to edit the thing.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I use audacity to do all my audio work, & I also have a Zoom H1, unfortunately, I have never bonded with it, as I continue to use a USB mic most of the time, to record at home.

I do intend to use it more this year; hopefully. :D

I have mine set to record in mp3, you'll get a lot more recorded in mp3 format, even on a small SD card.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

plunk111 wrote:I use Audacity for splitting into individual tracks - works great! You can then do equalizing, etc, fairly easily... Not sure why you find this difficult.
I haven't tried Audacity yet. I've read some reviews saying the interface can take some time to learn, but maybe that's just for more advanced use as opposed to my simple needs. I'll try it on my Macbook.

But I don't think it's available on my Chromebook which is what I'd really like to use. (Unless I somehow run Linux, but that sounds intimidating to deal with.)

I appreciate the suggestion!
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

A quick Web search comes up with https://www.educatorstechnology.com/201 ... rding.html, and https://audacityguide.com/audacity-for-chromebook. No idea how good or trustworthy any of this is.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Adobe Audition has great tools for this. You can select a region (usually you can do that visually), click the "add marker" button, give it a name (e.g.: Morrison's Jig). Repeat for all the regions you're interested in, including overlapping regions if you want. Then export all the regions as individual files named based on the assigned names.

Unfortunately, Adobe want's $20 a month for the rest of your life for Audition.

I use the version (CS2) that Adobe inadvertently released freely about a decade ago. I think it's still on their servers.