Advice/Suggestions Needed re Book on Slow Airs (D Whistle)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PennyWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. I love penny whistle music and am trying to learn to play it. Also, I love listening to Irish music, currently Irish Music Sessions.

Advice/Suggestions Needed re Book on Slow Airs (D Whistle)

Post by PennyWhistle »

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, from Germany, with some experience playing the soprano recorder and reading notes, and have recently started playing the pennywhistle (Dixon whistle in D). I love slow airs. I mostly play for fun because I love the sound of pennywhistles, but I am also trying to learn from Stephen Ducke's Complete Guide to Playing Irish Traditional Music on the Whistle.

I would really like to buy a book on slow airs (with sheet music) and recently came across these two:

1. Tomas O'Canainn: Traditional Slow Airs Of Ireland
2. 110 Ireland's Best Slow Airs For Melodic Instruments

I was wondering if any of you have one or both of them and would let me know if most (or many) songs in them can be played on the D whistle (without having to transpose any notes or anything of that matter), and whether at least some of the songs can be easily played by beginners.

Thanks in advance and happy whistling!

Penny

P. S. If you know of any other books on slow airs (in either German or English), I'd appreciate you letting me know.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Advice/Suggestions Needed re Book on Slow Airs (D Whistl

Post by fatmac »

Caveat: I don't play ITM.

From what I understand, ITM is nearly 100% doable on a 'D' whistle, even if it is in 'G', or some in 'A'.

Others will chip in soon, but thought I'd just mention it. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Out of those two Tomas O'Canainn's is the one I'd recommend, perhaps. As far as learning airs from a book goes anyway. The tunes will fit on the D whistle, mostly (there's the odd low note in tunes like Morgan Magan if I remember correctly).

Playing slow airs well is not an easy job. Good luck.
From what I understand, ITM is nearly 100% doable on a 'D' whistle
Probably best to not make assumptions.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
From what I understand, ITM is nearly 100% doable on a 'D' whistle
Probably best to not make assumptions.
Am I that far out then? If so I retract my 'assumtion'. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

There are a lot of slow airs on thesession.org, but you have to know what you're looking for, since there isn't a 'slow air' category on that site (many of them are listed as waltzes, by default).

I have a copy of Tomas O'Canainn's book which I began learning some slow airs from some years ago, but perhaps even more so than dance tunes, slow airs really have to be learned by listening. O'Canainn's book should come with a cd, which is somewhat helpful.

As Mr. Gumby so rightly puts it, it's a challenging endeavor, especially when not in the surroundings of a traditional community, but not impossible in this day and age.
PennyWhistle
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. I love penny whistle music and am trying to learn to play it. Also, I love listening to Irish music, currently Irish Music Sessions.

Post by PennyWhistle »

Hi there,

Thank you all for weighing in. I also just read a review on the Tomas O'Canainn book which made me want to buy it just for the CDs. So, I guess I'll give that one a go.

Thank you, stiofan, for mentioning thesession.org. I'll check that out, too.

:thumbsup:

Penny
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

fatmac wrote: ITM is nearly 100% doable on a 'D' whistle
ITM as played on D whistle is 100% doable on D whistle :thumbsup:
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Out of those two Tomas O'Canainn's is the one I'd recommend, perhaps. As far as learning airs from a book goes anyway. The tunes will fit on the D whistle, mostly (there's the odd low note in tunes like Morgan Magan if I remember correctly).

Playing slow airs well is not an easy job.
I have the O Canainn book and as with any written versions of airs the dots don't capture the feel and phrasing, which has to be got from listening.

IMHO airs are much harder to play than the dance music.

I struggled for years with airs until finally having what I consider a break-through, after which they seemed to make far more musical sense.

How difficult airs are for people became most apparent when I was teaching an uilleann workshop and decided to do Roisin Dubh rather than a piece of dance music. Nobody could make much sense of it. Perhaps it's the lack of bars and regular beats to latch on to; I was breaking it down into phrases, which is the only way that makes sense to me.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

I have both books,some tunes appear-not in quite the same versions,of course- in both books.

Overall I prefer Mr. O'C,'s.

I'd like to mention a reprint publication which doesn't come with any recordings. While there are many airs in it you cannot play on any whistle there are ones you can in The Roche Collection,plus you get many other types of tunes besides. You still need to hear the airs played though,and they didn't provide CD's when the original was published in 3 volumes starting around 1912.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Tomas O'Canainn had the knowledge and knew his airs. The notations in his book are arguably simplified but they are sound. And they do indicate the length of the phrases. Bear in mind it's a book aimed at beginners/learners, writing in any more detail would defeat the purpose. The book and CDs are in the €15-18 range on ebay, which is reasonable enough.

I'd caution against learning airs from notation alone, the song airs anyway, if you're goign to be playing tunes like Inis Oir etc you'll be fine but for sean nos airs, the recommended route is through the singers.

Take for example Joe Heaney singing Caoineadh Na Tri Mhuire. The basic tune is simple enough, follow the singer's words and phrases and you're flying. And if you're into that sort of thing, it's the time of year for it.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

PennyWhistle wrote:Thank you, stiofan, for mentioning thesession.org. I'll check that out, too.
I just wanted to mention that not all postings on thesession.org site or YouTube videos are quality postings so be careful. Both sites are wonderful resources if you know what and who to follow.