Hello

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TomFoolery
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing Scottish and Irish traditional music for a few years, mainly on fiddle and tenor banjo, and recently picked up tin whistle. Also, I seem to have caught the flute bug. So I came here for group therapy - er, advice on playing, and taking part in the discussion about the instruments and ITM/STM as a whole.

Hello

Post by TomFoolery »

Just wanted to say hello!

Longtime lurker here who has become enthralled and enchanted with the Irish and Scottish traditions. My first love was fiddle, and after god-knows how many years of classical and jazz/blues/latin training across several instruments I finally course-corrected (/sarcasm - everything I've explored so far has been amazing, but not for me) and am re-learning... well, everything. I've been building a session repertoire of tunes, and have added tenor banjo and tin whistle to the list. The last 8 months have felt kind of like coming home, in music.

Figured I should finally register because I found that A) there's plenty of conversations to be had, and what with needing physical isolation given the times right now, why not go digital? and B) I've heard the siren call of adding flute to my tin whistle experience, and as such also want to have the Used Instruments exchange as an option. Also, hence the need to wrack up a post count.

I figure after making the big leap to flute, it'll be great to have the boards as a resource as well. Hopefully, that will sate the instrument acquisition drive for a while - I've ambitions for a double-row button box in a few years, or maybe pipes. Though, right now I have enough on my plate for a while as is, never mind adding flute and all its intricacies - that might stop me in my tracks for years anyway! :D

So, I figure a little about me - I'm a New Englander, and a student of earth science expecting a bachelor's and a release into the big, wide world come May. If we're not all dead from lack of toilet paper by then. I'm also a big fan of various outdoor pursuits, and a voracious reader of (quality)fiction/fantasy, non-fiction, folklore, and poetry. But music tends to dominate my free time - it's a bug that doesn't ever seem to let you go, and I've been bitten. Please send help.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you all either here or on the boards!
-Tom
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Hello

Post by Nanohedron »

TomFoolery wrote:If we're not all dead from lack of toilet paper by then.
There's always leafy matter. Just keep away from the poison ivy and you'll probably be fine.

Welcome. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
TomFoolery
Tell us something.: I've been playing Scottish and Irish traditional music for a few years, mainly on fiddle and tenor banjo, and recently picked up tin whistle. Also, I seem to have caught the flute bug. So I came here for group therapy - er, advice on playing, and taking part in the discussion about the instruments and ITM/STM as a whole.

Post by TomFoolery »

Nanohedron wrote: There's always leafy matter. Just keep away from the poison ivy and you'll probably be fine.
But of course! Poison oak has a far more comforting texture to the leaves, anyway.

Thanks for the welcome!
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Welcome to the posting side. I lurked for decades.
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

You say that you're hoping that these boards will sate the instrument acquisition drive for a while? :boggle: Good luck with that! Soon you'll be hoarding instruments like they were toilet paper.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

How many whistles did you say you have? .....it's not enough! :lol:

Your collection of whistles & flutes will inevitably grow, don't worry about it..... just accept it as the norm. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome! I cannot help with the flute or any other instrument than the whistle. I found my calling with the whistle. I too was a lurker for longer than I should've been.